Is it possible to get 4k @ 120hz with a 4-Port KVM and an AV Receiver?

Is it possible to get 4k @ 120hz with a 4-Port KVM and an AV Receiver?

I have 4 PCs that I want to connect to my home theater system. I want to do 4k @ 120hz. AV Receivers appear to be all HDMI.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

So does your projector/Receiver do Display Port? Otherwise I would just get DP-to-HDMI cables for your PC’s and use your receiver.

Unfortunately AV Receivers are all HDMI standard, and for whatever reason, adapters attenuate/degrade signal quality quite a bit. Meaning a lower hz, which defeats the purpose.

Hmmmm. Probably not?

1. It’ll be tricky
  2. It’ll be expensive and might not work anyway.

HDMI requires an “active” adapter/cable to go to DisplayPort. Often times going HDMI → DisplayPort is going to reduce your bandwidth down to DisplayPort 1.2 which would limit you to 4K@60Hz.

However, I have seen some items I have never tested before from good brands.

Like this:

Club3D is a really good brand so I’m curious if this ^ will actually do 4K@120Hz.

If you try to get a nice adapter like this, I would highly recommend getting FIBBR fiberoptic cables. After a while, you will lose bandwidth if you’re using copper cabling. This could reduce you down to 4K@60Hz anyway even if the adapter is working correctly :grimacing:

Unless you’re willing to dish out money to try and make it work, probably not going to have much luck unfortunately.

Club3d has exactly one DP to HDMI reciever that is usbc powered and could work for this. I use it with megadesk sometimes! (the one above goes the other way takes an hdmi signal and gives you a dp signal)

can you go out of all your computers via DP and it is only the hdmi into your reciever you want to be 4k/120?

the club3d adapter does not do freesync/gsync
and will do chroma subsampling with hdr, or you have to run a little less than 120hz to get 444 with the adapter. but it is the least bad hdmi2.1 adapter available imho.

Thanks very much for the detailed response!

Club3D is a really good brand so I’m curious if this ^ will actually do 4K@120Hz.

I have heard good things about Club3D, but wow, that 1-5 star review distribution on the product you linked doesn’t bode well at all. Lots of 2-5 star reviews. I know they make good cables, so the reviews suggest to me that the technology just isn’t there yet.

I would highly recommend getting FIBBR fiberoptic cables.

Thanks, I will look into those. I already have a 50’ fiberoptic cable giving me trouble, so I will give FIBBR a try.

Club3d has exactly one DP to HDMI reciever that is usbc powered and could work for this. I use it with megadesk sometimes! (the one above goes the other way takes an hdmi signal and gives you a dp signal)

Thanks, what’s the model number on that part?

can you go out of all your computers via DP and it is only the hdmi into your reciever you want to be 4k/120?

Yes, one Intel NUC and 3 PCs with GPUs that all have DP out. HDMI is really only necessary for the AV Receiver.

Correct, specifically I want 4k/120 into the receiver, and 4k/120 out on the monitor itself, as reported inside of Windows 11 and all related applications. Unfortunately the monitor doesn’t have any DP inputs either (Samsung QN75Q9FN).

@Level1_Amber can take a pic of our USB powered club3d adapter. Love that thing. Works great with the kvms

1 Like

There’s a few questions that you haven’t really answered -

Firstly, do you have a 4 port KVM that supports HDMI at 4k 120hz? If not you might need to use a KVM just as a KM to switch the keyboard and mouse between the four computers, and switch the video elsewhere (eg via the AV receiver) which leads to the next question…

Does your AV receiver support HDMI at 4k 120hz? If it doesn’t then you have a few options to route the audio into your AV receiver while the 4k video goes to your display - these are

• Use eArc from your TV/display to feed the audio to your AV receiver (you might need an earc extractor if you AV receiver doesn’t support earc)
  • Use an HDMI audio extractor between your display and the KVM - these take an HDMI input and give two hdmi outputs, one video one audio
  • Connect two outputs from each computer, one to the display/kvm and another to the AV receiver - this will require more wiring and switching!

Certainly what you are asking is possible but the 120hz requirement makes it rather harder and might require buying additional stuff to make it happen.

Natively? No, because the hdmi chpsets that do this either have compatibility issues with audio codecs passing through them, hdr problems, or both. If you do DP to HDMI conversion after the kvm it can work though.

Its not a bad strategy to split out hdmi audio and video from sources but tbh for 120hz optical spdf handled separately then dp to hdmi after the kvm into “whatever” can work really well.

We had a 4k/60 hdmi run we did with two hdmi outputs to make audio handling a bit easier. But I dont really understand the htmi market since the hdmi consortium makes a huge mess of their offerings. Even hdBaseT 3rd gen is a mess.

1 Like

Firstly, do you have a 4 port KVM that supports HDMI at 4k 120hz?

At the moment I’m using a L1KVM which supports 4k/60. I’m running my display (Samsung QN75Q9FN) at 1080p/120hz right now, but it’s glitchy (occasional flickering), especially when playing games. I would be happy with a stable 1080/120hz connection, but if I can get better that’s great too.

Does your AV receiver support HDMI at 4k 120hz?

I’m currently using a Denon S650H which supports “4K UHD”. I am open to replacing it if that would help.

Certainly what you are asking is possible but the 120hz requirement makes it rather harder and might require buying additional stuff to make it happen.

That’s great to hear. I am OK with replacing the KVM, AV Receiver, and cables. As @Level1_Amber mentioned however, it’s a potentially expensive experiment with no guarantees. What do you recommend?

I can verify that I’m getting 4k/60hz through my current L1T 4-port HDMI KVM, but windows won’t let me go any higher (120hz).

I can only get 4k/60hz if I bypass my AV Receiver though. I guess the answer may be to replace the AV Receiver and settle with 4k/60hz?

Hdmi2.1 is right around the corner…

Other brand kvms can do HDMI 2.1 with various bugs and glitches right now.

If your devices were all dp the all dp handling with the club3d HDMI converter can do it all.

I have an HDMI audio thing and legacy gear being used for audio only is a good strategy to avoid the cost of replacement

Hdmi2.1 is right around the corner…

I’m unclear. Will L1T be resuming the manufacture of HDMI KVMs?

I would love to see that. You guys make great KVMs, but this HDMI vs. DisplayPort holy war is hard on those of us who are trying to get both sides to work together. (PC space integrating with the consumer electronics space).

We will have hdmi2.1 as soon as there is a good chipset. We are in testing for possibly having this at the very end of 2023

1 Like

@Wendell

Have there been exciting developments in the world of DisplayPort-to-HDMI 2.1 adapter chipsets?

We have an insane/crayz DP 2.0 to HDMI 2.1 chipset that is in our two hundred dollar adapter. I will be happy to send you one to test as a thank you for your hard work.

So this chipset, blessed by hdmi official, supports VRR. But It doesn’t. I’m telling you it doesn’t work. Otherwise, it’s decent?

The thing its really good at is making high dollar projectors, and medical imaging displays, work, which is why it costs $200. but otherwise its a hard sell for home use. I can’t believe theres no good chipset yet.

2 Likes

To not shoot myself in my own foot right away: Is that thingy capable of outputting HDMI UHD/120 Hz/10 bpc colors/HDR/Full-Range RGB when being connected to a host with only DisplayPort 1.4a (Ampere, Vega 2 (Ryzen 5000G), Polaris)?

Otherwise I’m of course very happy about that offer :slight_smile:

Theoretically yes. theoretically. Probably not vega /5000g as the hw that side is incomplete. I think. not sure about polaris. hey @Level1_Amber test that forus pls ty

1 Like