Is it possible to fix my old GPU?

Hey all so i came across my old 980ti that died around last year out of the blue and recently came across it again… and im just wondering what the steps would be to fix it, if possible, I don’t know the first thing about PCB/Soldering/Repairs but id be happy to learn to try give this old beast some life again for someone whos in need of a GPU during the shortage.

It all Happened one day while playing a game and my PC started hard crashing whilst in CS:GO and i got messages in Windows Event Manager such as “Kernel Power Failed” or something along them lines. So i thought it was a PSU error and after replacing it with a RM 750X from Corsair the GPU was fine for the next week or so till one day i was playing a game with friend and i heard this pop sound and looked over to see smoke pouring out of the GPU, so i ran and pulled it out and left it there… But this morning i decided to open it up and inspect the damage and it seems to be hardly anything and one small chip that has blown… although as i said i dont know the first bit about this stuff so i could be 100% wrong but for all i can see its only 1 chip that has burnt out and no more PCB damage.

Ill post some pics below and see if anyone here thinks its fixable at home:

That chip that is not just blown, but no longer there was a so called “Powerstage” (a pair of MOSFETs and some control electronics).

If the GPU core survived, you could dual-wield some big soldering irons to take off the remains of the Powerstage, then solder a replacement (needs to be the exact same model as the one that blew up) in place.

Ah… Honestly ive been looking around and it seems like its not really doable for me to fix at this moment due to literally never soldered or anything before so id be learning on this GPU as a first try what just sounds for a recipe for disaster, ive heard id have to replace alot of parts and small little chips, i may honestly consider giving it away to someone who would like the challenge and knows what to do.

Capacitors and resistors are likely fine. The only chips I could see taking a hit are the voltage controller and the GPU core.

Buildzoid from AHOC? :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.