Is it possible for windows to ignore one of 2 GPUs on boot?

So I have a dual boot machine with windows and linux and two graphics cards, an AMD R7 360 which I use on linux and an nVidia 1070 that I leave for when I boot windows as a VM.

But every once in blue moon I need to ruin my uptime an really boot on windows. And then windows insists in installing the AMD drivers and gives me some crap so that when I boot my VM i have Radeon software running in the background.

So my question is if there is any way to disable the AMD GPU when I boot on windows so that it only sees the nVidia card and stops whining. Any ideas?

The first thing that comes to mind is setting the primary in bios, but your primary changes depending on what boots…

A couple of things you can try.

1. Disable the second GPU in Windows.
  2. Set Windows to not automatically download/update drivers

1 Like

Step 1 : Find device hardware ID

In Device Manager, right-click on the device, choose Properties, then in the Details tab set Property to Hardware Ids and copy the displayed id.

Step 2 : Install your driver

Disconnect the computer from the Internet, go again into Device Manager, uninstall the driver installed by Windows and install your own. Reboot, and ensure that the driver stays as installed.

Step 3 : Block driver update for that device

Run gpedit.msc
Go to Local Computer Policy → Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → System → Device Installation → Device Installation Restrictions
Double-click on “Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs” and set it to Enabled.
Click the Show button to launch the dialog “Prevent installation of devices that match any of these Device IDs”
Paste into Value the copied hardware-id for the device
Click OK until finished.

Step 4 : Finishing

Reconnect the computer to the Internet. Verify from time to time that the driver has not changed (this should not happen unless Microsoft manages to break this option).

I really dont like HDMI audio devices :upside_down_face:

But, basically that group policy edit prevents Windows from installing anything for that hardware ID, so you can either use it to lock, or prevent it from happening in the first place

1 Like

You could try disabling it in windows device manager. It would be under display adapters, right click the AMD gpu and click disable.

If you have windows pro or higher, then the group policy block driver updates is probably the way to go.

Not auto downloading drivers is not fun if you plug in USB devices because then you often have to manually update the drivers in device manager.

1 Like