Is i9-9900k going to be the new i7-2700k?

So I’ve been thinking about the Sandy Bridge CPUs, specifically the i7-2700k and the i5-2500k. They were pretty good CPUs for gaming and as “future proof” as CPUs can get.

They also overclocked pretty good - especially with the IHS being soldered.

So now, with all the delays of the 10nm process and the mature state of the 14nm++++ process, in the case intel solders the IHS for the 9900k and the 9700k - I’m under the impression that these CPUs are the real successors to the 2600k and the 2500k.

The latency should be better than on Ryzen with the ring bus and intel IPC is higher anyway.

There’s also the fact that games are taking forever to use more threads and ipc should still be the most important consideration.

I dunno. Seems like a perfect storm for a really good CPU for gaming.

It would honestly depend on the pricing and what the actual performance will be like.

If the processor ends up being more than $400USD, I would have a hard time justifying its price as a gaming cpu and probably wouldn’t bother. Then again if the performance out right destroys AMD that it can make up the price difference I don’t see why not.

I don’t think the value proposition is there any more. We have all but hit the max that people want out of game performance regardless of CPU. It heavily depends on the GPU.

I do expect the Intel part to have higher IPC and clocks but I am not sure that matter so much any more when you have CPUs that will be half the price and still push the games into hundreds of fps.

3 Likes

We may as well look at it as a high performance workstation part.

1 Like

At likely ~$450 MSRP, this is simply not a mainstream part. And without hyperthreading it can’t compete with the 2700X at workstation stuff.

So yeah, it’s an extremely expensive enthusiast gaming CPU.

1 Like

The 9900K does have hyperthreading. The 9700K does not.

Either way though it will be faster in nearly all applications and significantly so. Intels arch is still a tiny bit better and their clock speeds are just significantly higher. Hell the 8700K already comes close to or does beat the 2700X in some tasks… The question comes down to price. However the 6 core parts will generally be the better bet for gamers in the near future.

More importantly though it’s dominance will likely be rather short lived. AMD is launching Zen 2/Ryzen 3000 early next year. This will likely bring 12 core/24 thread CPUs to the mainstream platform coupled with much higher clocks and/or depending on choices much lower power consumption that TSMC 7nm will bring, at likely a lower price, will put them back into the game.

Either way it’s great to see come competition finally coming back into the cput market. 8 cores and soldered. Noice. Can’t wait to see the pricing and AMDs response

1 Like

9900k will probably come in at >$500 but yes, it does have hyperthreading. I expect AMD to swiftly release a 2800X to compete with it.

Is it not the case that it’s easier to cool a larger die (say a 14nm+++) than a smaller one (10nm) since all that heat is concentrated in a smaller space? Especially if intel decides to solder it.
The clock speeds should take a hit in the new process. I mean, comparing the clock speeds from Sandy Bridge onward:

from the looks it looks like 3690x class cpu, not 1155 socket ones.

3690x? Was that an Ivy Bridge-E? With a ring bus?

Edit: Sry, meant Sandy Bridge-E.

GHz This one?

yeah that one.

I think it will depend on price. If it comes in somewhere around 350 or so, yea, it might. Two things though, it looks like the price is going to be more around the 500 mark, and 16 threads really doesn’t scale that well with current games.

This is the reason why Ryzen is not wiping the floor with Intel, high thread counts are not that great for gaming currently. However, if the single core performance is good, which it probably will be, it could be a good CPU for power users that play games and want Intel, without jumping up to socket 2066. Beyond that, I think Ryzen is the better chip for the price. Just my .02.

So it seems that the 9900k is just too expensive and games won’t need the extra threads for the foreseeable future.

That leaves us with the i7-9700k. 8 cores, 8 threads. 12MB cache. Good IPC, probably high clock speeds AND soldered IHS. About $350.

And the 2500k was $240 (with inflation).

I don’t know. Maybe the biggest competitor for the 9700k will be the 8700k.

If the 9700k comes in at $350 it will be extremely successful. Rumors I had read said $450.

1 Like

#waitforbenchmarks

I could have sworn that when Sandy Bridge was released there was almost no difference between the i5 and the i7 in games, maybe 2 or 3 FPS in most games.

As for today, aren’t GPUs still the limiting factor when gaming above 1080p? Guru3D posted an article on the 2600K earlier this year that showed that at 1440p the 2600K performed within a few FPS of the 8700K in the games they tested with a GTX 1080 for the GPU.

3 Likes

I don’t think so, the big thing about the i7 2600K is what an IPC boost it was from an i7 860, we don’t see a large IPC boost if any at all from Coffee Lake to this.

The core count will go up but it won’t be a huge performance gain, it will only mildly outperform an AMD R7 2700X but who knows how much it will cost.

Not only that but AMD has 3rd Gen Ryzen as well in store for Intel and who knows how that’s going to play. I don’t like Intel’s chances in the desktop space. I can’t think of a reason to get a desktop Intel CPU over AMD.