Is 140m (460 feet) ethernet over powerline for surveillance camera doable?

Guys, this was over 3 years ago. It has run ever since on ethernet over powerline.

• Why didn’t I go with running both a power line and a fiber, as @jotm mentions? Because it would be way more expensive. And I’m only putting a camera in a bird case…
  • Why didn’t i go with PoE? Because PoE is rated at 50m before needing a repeater, which requires power, which there isn’t. Besides ethernet is rated to go 100m. This is 140m.
  • Why not Wi-Fi? Because Wi-Fi can’t power the camera.

As it is now, i could put 10 cameras on the thing at it would theoretically have enough power and bandwidth.

Good for you (says someone who built a cat detector for the wife, detector tells her WHO of her 7 cats demands food …) !!! As far as WiFi goes: The extension cord brings the power …

Mikrotik s+rj10 adapters will do Ethernet at gigabit speeds over 200m.

You’d need a second cable for power. But, if you’re getting a second cable for power, might as well use fiber for data. At that distance, it’s probably cheaper than copper. (Mikrotik outdoor gigabit converter from SFP to Ethernet is 40eur, SFP+ transceivers are $5 a piece, cable is probably around 130e https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/97943.html). Let’s say you’d be spending 200euro on data.

No idea how much a power cable or camera would cost you.

Other option is to do point to point wireless, a pair of mikrotik disc lite or a pair of ubiquiti litebeam will cost you 100-150

Is the fiber option wheather proof? Specifically frost? Might go that route for a hut/shelter type thing I’m contemplating, where the bandwidth and realiability would be nice.

@berti I didn’t reply to you to start a contest over who is smarter or better. I’m sorry if it sounded like it.

You need an outdoor-type fiber cable. They make them for running through the air (wind, rain, snow), for being buried in the ground, or run underwater. We have two fiber lines coming to the house, dangling from a mast through the air, withstanding snow, rain, and the occasional typhoon. I’d probably go for regular fiber run through run-of-the-mill flexible conduit. Many years ago, on another continent, and in another life, I needed Ethernet at a boat dock. I told the sprinkler man to shoot an underground flexible sprinkler line from the house to the dock. He had this machine that could do that without digging. Pulled a CAT5 line, done. It’s probably still there, and the guy who bought the house wonders what it may be.

1 Like

Yep, exactly, check out the one I linked to. There’s also a “direct burial” kind which is more expensive than just regular outdoor. It’s mostly made from layers of aramid/kevlar/steel… of different grades and thicknesses - should be fine. The teeny tiny glass string/tube/fiber inside is not super rigid either, thanks to it being very thin.

1 Like

For anyone looking to do this now, you could look into any 802.3at (PoE+) certified PD device and run it over burial or UV rated ethernet to at least 200m.

1 Like