IPV4 over IPV6 tunnel

Ok this is going to sound odd, but I know how to do this on Cisco and I have now started to play around with Pfsense. Does anyone know if you can tunnel ipv4 over ipv6 on Pfsense. IE I want to make a VPN between two ipv4 networks but send it down a ipv6 tunnel. Thank you for any help.

1 Like

Most of the traditional VPN technologies can do this for you - GRE, GRE Ipsec, Openvpn or Wireguard. If it’s a local network then plain GRE will likely be the simplest. If it’s local there are other technologies like VXLAN, but they’re mainly used for situations where you have multiple endpoints (like hypervisors).

If you’re unsure what to pick I’d suggest Wireguard as a start. Just be aware you may need static routes on both sides so they know how to communicate with devices behind the router on each end.

Thank you for the replay. I know you can do it with the listed ways. My question I guess has more to do with routing. When I try to point the route in Pfsense it says I cannot point IPV4 to IPV6. Once I have made the tunnel, I’m using Wireguard, I’m not understanding on how to make the route on Pfsense. The main reason I’m doing this is because my IPV6 is static and IPV4 is dynamic. I’m running on a dual stack for the ISP.

Wireguard should be making a virtual interface. you’ll need to add an IPv4 address to it so IPv4 traffic an be routed over it. IIRC the config for this can be done from wireguard itself.

Thank you,

Cowphrase I will try that. Just missing CLI sometimes when I’m messing with Pfsense.