iPod Classic restoration and projects

This will be a blog of my efforts to first refurbish and upgrade a 7th gen iPod Classic and then later some more unique iPod projects.

So the first project: My wife’s iPod classic.

She has had this since high school and I want to update it to “modern” functionality and renew its physical appearance.

Objectives:
Install RockBox
Replace HDD with flash storage
Add Bluetooth capability
Replace battery with larger one
Replace back cover with teal new one
Engrave heartfelt flowery message on back of new cover
Replace screen/screen cover
Load a ton of music on it
Recreate her favorite Spotify playlist on it

5 Likes

So I just loaded RockBox on it to test functionality and get my feet wet. Took a while to realize that all the problems I was having was because it was formatted for Mac and not windows/Linux.

1 Like

Parts List:

Bluetooth Mod:

2 Likes

inb4 ship of theseus comments…

1 Like

I have an iPod Classic as well, and look forward to seeing updates from you on this! I need to figure out how to clean up (remove scratches) from the aluminum backing, otherwise it’s in pretty good condition.

I’ve been tempted to try out Rockbox, but I can’t leave the current interface (nostalgia) behind. You’ll have to let us know what your wife thinks of the new interface!

1 Like

I am just going to replace the back rather than try to buff out all the scratches. Her favorite color is teal so I figure just changing it would be better regardless.

1 Like

That would make a lot of sense, since you’re also replacing internal components. I’m interested in a new back, but I don’t quite know how that would go…. I will certainly be interested in how hard the disassembly proves to be for you!

1 Like

Looks like a fun mod. You’ll be surprised how much lighter the iPod will get once you remove the hard drive. I did a similar mod with an iFixit battery and an iFlash board on a 5th gen iPod. The iFlash board worked great with multiple SD cards. Plus the battery life is so much better with a fresh battery.

1 Like

Glad to know that you are happy with the mods.

Ah, but it is one, isn’t it? That’s not a bad thing.

This is a neat project. I love the classic iPod’s form factor and controls, but nothing else about the things.

… pity I can’t fit a FiiO X7 III with guts and ampmodule and upgraded battery in one of those shells.

1 Like

Getting back onto this project. Ordered everything today so hopefully it all gets here in time for me to put it together and have it ready for Christmas.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.