iPhone users, how do you backup your photos and videos outside of iCloud in Windows?

Hi all, I’m a Windows 11 user, formerly a mac user. I have a ton of photos I had taken in the past with my DSLR camera. I realized recently that outside of iCloud, my iOS photos and videos aren’t anywhere else. Since I don’t have a server, I was curious how others backup their photos and videos to their Windows computers.

I’m leaning towards a combination of syncthing and photoprism though am open to suggestions. Additionally was reading into a docker container though not sure if it’s necessary. I read on the Datahoarder subreddit that NextCloud is good but slow for photo and video upload. Any suggestions and advice appreciated.

I use PhotoSync to get photos from my iPhone to my samba share on TrueNAS. It copies new unsynced photos once a day when I am on home wifi. Automatically.

PhotoSync understands many different targets, I am sure you can use PhotoSync to get photos from your phone to Windows.

3 Likes

I’ll give that a try

It seems I need WiFi for my motherboard. I’ll have to get a PCIE adaptor.

I use FE File Explorer as it lets me not only backup photos and videos but access all the files on my NAS. They used to have a free edition but since then it seems to have disappeared from the App Store…

iTunes for Windows can back up iPhone media files for free just like it did on Mac before Catalina. But iTunes is actually syncing things between iPhone and PC, so it will erase previous data.

There are also some 3rd party tools that work quite well on Windows, for example, DearMob iPhone Manager, which can fully or selectively back up iPhone to Windows, and vice versa.

1 Like

I myself use a external tool. Though it requires payment, it works fine. Called FoneDog iOS Data Backup & Restore.

I am using Nextcloud docker on Ubuntu computer to backup our family photos and videos from Android & Apple phones and tablets. We never had any speed issues.
Memories app in Nextcloud is very good for photo management.

I would recommend docker and to register your own domain as it simplifies Nextcloud and other apps installation, updates, maintenance and remote access.
Another photo app that someone recommend to me is Chevereto which is not a free solution.

1 Like