IP cameras cheaper than Ubiquiti?

Hey there!

I am looking to upgrade my security cameras from some old analog junk to modern PoE IP cameras.

I was originally looking at Ubiquiti but at ~700EUR for 7 cameras, it is a no go ATM.

I am looking for a cheaper but not inferior solution. I can host my own software at home, probably something like Shinobi/ZoneMinder on a Linux server/VM but I need an android app to monitor, either through my OpenVPN tunnel or by opening a port.

Basically, I am looking for cheaper-than-Ubiquiti hardware that can do the job and any possible recommendations on software (preferably something that runs in a docker container for ease of use).

Roll your own with ESP32CAM, or Raspberry Pi plus the high-quality camera module. 3d printed enclosures for both are easy to come by on the net.

1 Like

Amcrest or hikvision is the cheap but viable option.

2 Likes

beware Hikvision

You might want to check out Intermittent Tech’s YouTube channel, he does some stuff with security cameras and such. Here’s a link to his channel:

4 Likes

There was something with Wyze Cameras and Firmware. Something like a firmware update removing an on-camera AI feature. I think the common wisdom on them was getting them and flashing an old firmware or something.

There was an episode on self hosted about cameras.

quindor / intermit.tech guy … made me think about maybe getting a Dahua doorbell, it seems like all the doorbell stuff is done by SIP - their doorbell camera is basically an IP phone.

I also ran into this forum:
https://ipcamtalk.com/forums/ip-cameras.4/

where you can find lots of sample images/videos from various cameras.

Apparently, Dahua in general doesn’t seem that bad - they have a bunch of decent ones for <$100 or similar that you can get shipped from aliexpress. In the ~$100 range they have some h.265 / 4k (8MP) cams — way cheaper than usual western market products.

2 Likes

If you ever plan on doing some home automation, DigiBlur has reviewed some PoE IP cameras and their integration into Home Assistant and other 3rd party applications.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.