IOMMU VirtualBox GPU passthrough (code 12)

Hi,
I am trying the GPU passthrough on my system:
* Asrock A88M-ITX/ac
* AMD A10-7870K
* Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

For gaming performance on Steam Linux (Solus OS), I'm using the GTX for linux and the APU for Windows 7 in the VM.
I got this far:

What can I do to get this to work?

GPU passthough in Vbox i think is still experimental and it is not really supported. You need to use more involved methods like KVM and XEN virtual machines.

3 Likes

What hypervisor are you using, and with what settings? (if you've got libvirtd set up can you pastebin us your XML?

I'm using just Oracle VM VirtualBox at the moment.
I will start setting it up with Qemu/KVM through Gnome Boxes and let know how far I get.

I don't think the APUs have pass-through support (AMD-Vi, IOMMU). Is there any option for enabling an IOMMU in the BIOS? You might need other hardware mate.

Edit: I remember there was some issue trying to passthrough the graphics part of APUs. There is something called KVMGT, but I think that is only for Intel?

or just keep the APU GPU on the host and pass the 1050 over

On a tangent but still the goal of VM's with a real graphic card.

https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-Vega-10-Support

In this patch due out in kernel 4.12 there is added SR-IOV support in the AMDGPU code.

1 Like

Not sure that AMD APU GPU's support this functionality. AFAIK only intel discrete, Radeon WX Business, and Vega will.

True but unless there is a feature needed the driver is open source and fingers cross someone can get it working if it doesn't out of the gate. One can only hope.

I tried the 1050 Ti for the virtual machine, same result:
Code 12

Tried with the new 5.1 update:
Error code is now 43
"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"