Interstellar. 70mm IMAX (UPDATE)

*** SPOILERS ALERT ***

haha.. don't worry. that view is still represented, it's just not the overall tone of the film. let me know what you think after you see it.

I'm definitely getting the blu-ray... this film has actually convinced me to buy a projector. the 1080p ones are quite affordable now, even though the screen and speaker/sound system will be the bulk of the cost.

i don't have the room for a projector, but i DO want a plasma. best case scenario, i can get one in like April. but by then, not sure if there will be any left in my price range. cheapest 1080p Plasma is the Samsung 51" PN51F5300. $549 (it is actually a great tv). Sad thing is, Panasonic, Samsung, and most recently LG, have ceased plasma production, even though they have much better picture quality than LCD.

LCD are cheaper, and lighter. plus consumer marketting really killed the plasma, especially when show floors have the LCD/LED tvs maxed on brightness, then you see a plasma, and it looks dull in comparison. but in a normal viewing experience, you would in fact turn the brightness down on any tv. so sad. i hope best buy still has them in stock next year!!!!

Plasmas are great when calibrated (many blu-rays have calibration tests) and with all the motion smoothing and dynamic contrast stuff turned off.

If you can afford it (i.e. not on credit and have the money ready), i'd say get the plasma now, rather than risking it not being available next year.

Maybe cut back on upgrading your graphics card or something.

well, already had to postpone geting my pc because i had an opportunity to buy a car. so in Jan, i will buy a desk, chair, and pc (minus gpu). then in april, i can get a graphics card, and TV. yeah, i never do credit/payments lol. i don't aim to be in debt over lack of patience and common sense ;)

yeah, the spears and munsil is a great bluray that helps calibrate. and i NEVER use motion smoothing. my sister and her husband have a 55" LED/LCD and he turns it max. i can't watch it lol. my sister claims not to be able to see a difference...... i have no words. lol

THAT MOVIE WAS AWESOME! Best Robot EVER!

TARS, What's your humor level?

Just saw it last night. Now need to convert my room into an IMAX theater so I can watch it every night. 

Honestly the best movie I've ever seen.

XD! dude, i am buying it DAY 1 on bluray. i hope there is a special edition with like 100 hours of bonus footage and featurettes. i want a 'TARS' action figure lol

UPDATE: I just watched Interstellar for the second time. This time, a Digital 4K projection. The film holds up GREAT. and the powerful scenes are still very powerful. the music.... love it. only down side was that there was this weird line/tear in the screen, which could be seen during bright scenes/Mann's planet in the upper left corner. that.. and this young teenager with his family kept talking during the movie. not whispering... talking. 

Seeing it a second time cleared up some small questions i had. It even brought to light some facts that some reviewers, and even Neil deGrasse Tyson, made. Oh, i am sure there are plot holes in this film, but that is true of every film. But it was fun to discredit some of them, and even some of Dr. Tyson's tweets. I love Tyson by the way lol

EDIT: Just in case you didn't know, Interstellar was originally in the hands of Spielberg. check out the differences between the Nolan and Spielberg version. While i like a FEW ideas in the Spielberg version, i am glad we got to see the Nolan version. 

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/interstellar/241127/interstellar-the-2008-script-its-wildly-different-ending

I avoided Tyson's tweets (I'm a fan too) before watching the film and have read them since. It seems he liked the science representation more than he usually does when it comes to space films.

Some people have been complaining about the sound for some reason, that the music/effects overpower the dialogue at times. I didn't notice ANY of this. Maybe some critics are hard of hearing or some theatres have a bad set-up.

I remember feeling that the music did get really loud in one part of the movie, but it was the launch. i mean, it had to be loud lol. that was the only instance, so yeah, don't know why people were complaining about that. 

SPOILERS!!

yeah, most of his tweets were praising the film. however, 2 of his tweets are easily explained, as he just didn't remember the film 100% when writing them. 

@neiltyson

'Mysteries of #Interstellar: If you can poke through a tesseract and touch books, why not just write a note & pass it through.'

He wasn't 'poking' through the walls of the tesseract, he was using gravity to effect the books. the one thing that can break the barrier of time and space. 

'Mysteries of #Interstellar: Who in the universe would ever know the titles of all their books, from behind, on an bookshelf.'

He didn't know what books he was pushing off. He was simply counting the spaces in order to transmit the message 'STAY' in Morse code. I think Neil thought that he was spelling 'STAY' with the first letter in the title or authors name or something. idk. 

By far the best article I've read on Interstellar... What a film!

https://medium.com/@somebadideas/on-interstellar-love-time-and-the-limitless-prison-of-our-cosmos-ef59ee28fd8e

Wow.. that is a crazy read. the whole 'the viewers being the 5th dimension' thing was so meta lol

This film keeps impressing me beyond viewing it. for instance....

1. There was not a single green screen used to make this film. The CGI (stars, planets, gargantua, etc.) were created before filing, so that they could be projects outside of the windows of the ships. all in camera. so the actors were seeing what we saw. that is almost unheard of today. 

2. The ships were REAL. inside and out. the Endurance, Rangers, and lander were all miniatures (well.. not super small lol). the Endurance was like 25ft? and the Ranger was about 50ft. if you recall the scenes where it was if the camera was attached to the ranger, it was because it actually was. they mounted the IMAX camera right to the ship, which was mostly 3D printed. 

i didn't learn about this till after my second viewing. 

a nice piece about the robots. TARS and CASE ftw! poor KIPP.... lol

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/interstellar-droids/