Internet connection issues and considering Mobile broadband routers

Hello

I have been having issues that my current wireless broadband router solution loses its connection during the workday. This happens once per day, around the same time. I am running a mobile phone sim inside of it, and the router is a sagecom unit that I have equipped with an external antenna with line of sight to the wireless network tower antennas.

Any good troubleshooting ideas, that I could try to check if I can either resolve this issue within software, or if buying a new, better router would make sense?

Currently, I am running a sagecom Telia Fast5370AIR, that I own personally. I have an external antenna connected to the antenna connectors on the rear of the device. I originally used this device with the ISP Telia with combined mobile broadband-ADSL-connection, but they stopped offer that service here, so I changed ISP’s.

Any good ideas that I could try?

I have considered either telewell or Teltonika routers as replacements for the Telia, but I have not been able to find any good review sites for these kinds of products? Any good directions where to look for reviews like this?

Thank you for checking out my question. If you have input, I was not clear or enough or something else, please do not hesitate to comment it down below this post!
Thank you once again!

Best regards
FInOxy

I’d have a look at Human Verification as it seems like a good unit overall and supports bridge mode. It’s not crazy expensive either, Xiaomi 5G CPE Pro | Preisvergleich bei idealo.de

I know it is a bit expensive but I have deployed several Peplink units and they are very solid and reliable units. Pretty much my default for Cellular setups. Next I would maybe loook at Mikrotik .

… or, plug in a USB stick LTE/5G modem off of Amazon into any OpenWRT compatible router. (could even be a VM)

1 Like

this is a very ghetto, but also very low cost alternative.

grab one of those power outlet timers and set it to turn power off to the modem at the corresponding time, and then one minute later have it restore power.
th

i had a small office where the ISP would not only NOT fix the issue, they also would NOT let me use my own hardware. this was the ‘fix’.

1 Like

Does your current wireless router have a configuration page that may contain some sort of log files? Might help in determining what’s going on.

The reason I ask is it sounds like a stuck update that’s trying to reboot daily or the reboot the modem every day at xx.xx.xx time is turned on.

Just the ideas that came to mind!

1 Like

Take this with a grain of salt as I am not the most versed in networking, but I have used these products in the past for remote video streaming and they seemed to work reliably.

Except that most are terrible at best compared to a standalone gateway and rarely supports bridged mode.

1 Like

Ouch
Here, I think I have to own the hardware I use, or lease it.

I have a insider contact at my ISP’s technical maintenance side, and he said it was something to do with forced reboots of devices because consumer tier devices are horrible crap. His words, not mine.

I’ve setup a few Huawei B818-263’s (DNA branded) as bridges (ethernet) and they’re absolutely solid as far as performance and stability goes using 3/Tre.se as ISP.

A few cons,

• WebUI can get very sluggish which doesn’t really matter but worth mentioning. Network performance is excellt (well beyond 100mbit).
  • Only 4G

These are however end of life and you probably should get on the 5G bandwagon by now. Given that you seem to live in .fi you can probably pick one up fairly easy used.

1 Like

Nope, In Finland, there is still the first 5g device rolling out. I think we have had about 4 generations of 5g phones, but now the service starts to be good enough for more static installations.

Currently looks to me that I need to see what I actually need, since honestly the 100-150mbit/s has been good enough for me.