Internal discussions on exFAT in the Linux Kernel have been made

Kernel developer Matthew Wilcox then looped in Ky Srinivasan who is the GM of Microsoft’s Enterprise Open-Source Group. Ky said he has started an internal discussion at Microsoft over the possibility of getting Microsoft’s blessing for exFAT in the Linux kernel / ensuring no patent issues, as the exFAT patents were supposedly left out when Microsoft joined OIN.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-exFAT-2019-Discussion

This has been a big stumbling block because all SDXC and above cards use exFAT. Out of tree installation means a lot of people can be caught off guard, as this is not installed when “Install third party proprietary libraries” is selected as a installation option, leaving those trying to use SDXC and new to the Linux scene stumped.

4 Likes

This would be cool. Didn’t they open source exFAT recently? If so, doesn’t that mostly take care of the licensing issues?

In the quote, the exFAT patents were NOT included in the MS open source intiative.

Sorry, I read that, but it didn’t register. :confused:

Samsung was forced to open-source an exFAT implementation many years ago when they released a binary blob in one of their android-based tablets, but it must not have been suitable to include in the kernel.

The patents are still active. That’s why it can’t be included as of now.

I thought MS wanted to maintain the patents to keep the revenue from licensing deals from all theose card makers / phone companies?

I don’t see why. You can dual-license software. Microsoft can say it’s GPL for the Linux kernel but still charge a commercial license to Samsung etc.

They are, which is why it was left out of the patents expunged when they joined the Open Innovation Network.

exFAT and WMV/WMA are 2 big pieces of MS tech preventing a smooth transition to Linux for some people.

exFAT can’t be included in the Kernel because of patents. WMV/WMA can’t be included in Proton because of patents and licensing, which FAudio for the FNA project relies on, and Media Foundation/Quartz relies on.

So then, the way I understand this, is they’re working on a way to have it both ways.

I guess it makes sense, but it’s still mildly disappointing.

They ended up releasing specs, see here-

3 Likes