Intel Xe GPU news/discussion

It may be a bit early, but I think it is time to kick of the hype train for the Intel dGPUs comming out next year.

Since Intel has a good history of Linux support for their iGPUs, I am pretty sure that we will have two companys with good GPUs and open-source drivers.

This is a well before release leak, so take it with a bucket of salt, but the specs look pretty good.

I am interested in any thoughts people have of the multi core design, and how well it will work both on windows and on linux, and what it means for compatibility with current programs.

1 Like

Jumping right in before reading anything this is an interesting idea in relation to nVidia. Not gonna say that Linux is catching up at an alarming pace but it is gaining speed slowly and I wonder where the tipping point is. What I mean is AMD on the backfoot are doing all the Open Source stuff to attract people and get the public on their side, Intel seem more genuine in that they know a significant portion of their customers use Open Source based OS’s and software. Meanwhile nVidia are heavily Windows based for the consumer GPUs (other products less so).

So currently their is one player, AMD, in the Open Source space with power GPUs and soon there will likely be two, both of which also bring their CPUs to the same space. With that close of an integration I wonder when the tipping point will be for people to go more Linux than Windows be it end users or the developers of the software being used. Who jumps first, the users demanding more OSS or the developers to prompt the users, and will it tempt nVidia to catch up?

Dx14? April fool’s?

2 Likes

I think so.

Would be very odd for Intel to have an MCM GPU before AMD does.

1 Like

Yes. June 31st is a not a calendar date.

2 Likes

Caught with the second post, I hoped it would last longer. Also notice the 4d xpoint.

1 Like