Intel to make Thunderbolt 3 royalty-free by 2018

Hopefully this means we'll see future implementations on AMD and ARM platforms.

3 Likes

I would be interested to see how it stacks up on other platforms. I assume that this would not be a CPU native implementation, but through their Alpine Ridge controller.

That's the set up on my 6i7kyk NUC. The Thunderbolt 3 is not direct to the CPU, it still fully featured and capable and supports GPU, just now the total connection width it has is limited to what ever the controller gives (I think x4 gen 3) rather than full width x16 from the CPU. Which is a shame.

1 Like

x4 gen 3 is still enough to push a couple of 4k monitors and some other peripherals.

Think the other manufacturers would have to come up with other ways of integrating the controller. Don't know whether it would it be possible to run two controllers in parallel?

1 Like

Meh. While this is a good thing, if this truly starts the jump from usb to Thunderbolt 3. Then we'll have to buy a whole lot of new things in the near future.

I don't think the two standards are intended to compete with each other. USB's simplicity is something that means peripherals are going to be using it for years to come. Thunderbolt, on the other hand, is intended to unify the interface for high-bandwidth peripherals - hence the PCIe/DP connection.

The fact they're using the same physical standard is just icing on the cake, in my opinion.

I expect Intel will keep a close eye on who's using Thunderbolt in their devices. Making the patent royalty-free doesn't mean they have no control over it.