Intel Tech found in Iranian suicide drones

I don’t know what these rage bait Twitter posts are trying to accomplish but they’re getting tiring… even if FPGAs were sanctioned, all four of the manufacturers (Intel/formerly Altera, AMD/formerly Xilinx, Microchip/Microsemi/Actel, and Lattice) make a lot of COTS components that anyone can buy and easily make their way into basically anything.

I see Analog Devices, Marvell, TE Connectivity, Micron, Micrel, Würth COTS components on that board too, should we be calling them out and the countries they’re headquartered in for some reason too?

I don’t know what the statement here is.

13 Likes

“Enragement” challenge.

7 Likes

Nice to see at least one person has some form of intelligence in the Twitter comment section

8 Likes

Lmao :rofl:

7 Likes

Key is that Iran has been on the US sanctions list for a very long time, so they shouldn’t have these chips in the first place. Goes to show once a chip leaves the fab, the manufacturer has very little influence on where it ends up. It’s quite credible these chips are obtained by Iran via China, either as such or part of the board.

Remember: the enemy of my enemy is my friend… Something very much adhered to in the Middle-East. And the Orient in general.

Anyway, they have them, no use crying over spilled milk, so getting a detailed insight in the innards of these anti-US drones by the US intelligence community makes it likely vulnerabilities will be found, exploited and safety for those being attacked by these devices will increase as the drones will be neutralised by said exploits of existing vulnerabilities. But we’ll never know, 'cause the 3-letter US agencies dealing with it won’t very forthcoming with info :wink:

2 Likes

Ya it’s not very practical. Like what would be the solution? Intel is just selling a computer. Is the government going to force Intel to put GPS tracking devices on their products and if they show up in a certain country they can just be locked down? Personally, I don’t want to normalize that kind of response. That could very easily be turned against average consumers if you get the wrong people in office.

3 Likes

Breaking news: You can buy shit online!

How is this news?

7 Likes

The news is that they are violating sanctions

1 Like

Clearly someone violating sanctions but I doubt that it is intel themselves. Anyone with a computer/component/cellphone could cross borders to Iran and just hand them over. How’d do you think pictures of the Iranian protest end up online? Someone had a phone camera, which I am certain shouldnt ever be in Iran, and took photos. They do have all sorts of stuff there. Not necesarily the fault of manufacturers.

Smuggling stuff through borders was always a thing. Heck, I am sure the elites in North Korea have fancy stuff that shouldnt be there…

I doubt Intel will risk fines by deliberately sending stuff to Iran.

4 Likes

Anyone with legs can just buy whatever and carry it across the border.
Is like smuggling beer kegs from Canada into the US during the prohibition.

Contents discovered in use by companies who manufacture said contents isn’t news and doesn’t really foster productive conversation.

If you, OP, feel this thread should be reopened please let a mod know.

3 Likes