Intel RST not recognized during Linux install

I've tried to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Fedora 25 and 26, and Arch, but none of them are recognizing my internal drives when I have Intel RST enabled. According to Intel it's supported in kernel version 2.6.27 and up so I'm a bit confused.

I have a Dell Precision 7720 with a Xeon E3-1505M v6. I tried contacting Dell a few months ago and they were pretty useless since the product was so new.

I've looked around for anything with this and I can't find anything. I'm used to dealing with Linux VM's and bare metal on servers, so I'm not really sure how to go about diagnosing this.

You are having trouble with setting up a RAID within the UEFI and having the system recognize it during install?

I have a RAID0 setup through the UEFI and have install Fedora 25 on this setup many many times without a problem. It is recognized in the system as (DM-RAID)

Yup, even the Windows installer didn't recognize it before the creators update.

I am using a Z97A ASUS motherboard have you tried looking for updates to the UEFI on DELL's website?

While yes, Intel RST is supported.... it's essentially pointless in Linux, as it uses MDRAID anyway and RST provides no bvenefit (and as you are encountering more difficulty)
The consensus is to just not use 'fake RAID' in Linux (even though I hate that term 'Fake RAID'). Just use Linux MDRAID.

I just checked again and they've released one since the last time I checked. I'll try that, but I doubt it will help.

I want to be able to dual boot with Windows, wouldn't doing it purely in software make that not possible?

I have to agree, as I stated in Linux it just uses like my example : md-p126 (md-raid)

The Intel implementation is software basically. I dual booted Windows & 2 Linux partitions from this 2(1TBx1TB) RAID0 for over a year (up until last week) no problems

I get that you want to manage multiple volumes or logical drives and have Linux and Windows cohabitate in harmony...
But the reality is that this could be a time suck and worse, possibly end up with the systems stepping on each others toes.

I've been running RST and eRST for many years, and frankly, I'm too chicken to mess with all that. Throw on top whole disk encryption and shit gets finicky real quick. I'm already outside the norm and am glad to have VeraCrypt working with eRST.

Pick your battles. This might not be one you want to fight.

RST is still lower than the OS though, because if it is enabled with an array I only see one disk in the Windows installer instead of two.

Yeah, I'll probably just keep doing what I'm doing now and using one of the drives for storing all of my VM's until a driver or something is included with the kernel.

Even with RST it won't be like that in Linux. MDRAID with RST will show you the individual devices.

1 Like

The reason you see 1 instead of 2 is because the Motherboard is reporting a RAID0 configuration. There is no speed/ security benefit from such implementation ( at least that I have noticed in the 3yrs I've been running mine ) Linux will still see both drives and report the RAID as /dev/md126x see picture of my setup below:

I actually have the RAID set up with 2 LUKS containers 1 XFS and the other EXT4

My game rig uses RST RAID0 and I get double the read and write. (Samsung 840 EVO)

My workstation uses eRST RAID1 and I get double the read, but single disk write speed. (Samsung 850 EVO)

1 Like

you are striping (RAID0) , of course you are getting 2x the speed ! :sunglasses:

Not everyone knows that... but the RAID1 read speeds is especially elusive information for most people.

1 Like

:sunglasses:

:sunglasses:

I like to live dangerously

Multiple read speeds based on multiple read types. So speeds is plural because it is a noun in this context.
My English is impeccable.

1 Like

How long have you had the Samsung 840 for? Have you experienced any degradation? I know the 850 is solid, but the 840.... not so much