Intel Optane Persistent Memory 300 Series "Crow Pass"

So, I was wandering. around eBay looking at business surplus, as one does, and I found some engineering samples. https://www.ebay.com/itm/227477589287 https://www.ebay.com/itm/389501380837 Several active listings. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=NMC2XAD512GQS

Some leaked specifications Optane's Last Gasp: Intel's Final Persistent Memory Roadmap Leaks | Tom's Hardware I wonder what might have been.

It would be an interesting headline to do something like this optane llm build Reddit

1 Like

how do you browse ebay to look at surplus items. Do you search for hardware that you already know about or is there some way to browse for actually useful items with filters so that you dont get random junk. Or is it more the case of just having to wade through that junk, and what categories have you found that are best to look in.

It depends on what I am looking for. I have been looking at pcie cards that have fpgas and memory lately, they might make interesting projects in the future. A lot of pcie accelerators have used fpgas.

A quick google to see if there is a project, or someone working on it. Like this accelerator. https://www.ebay.com/itm/406580517288 You can find them cheaper, but more importantly someone has done some work with it. Alibaba cloud FPGA: the 200$ Kintex UltraScale+ [Updated] · Tales on the wire

You can find lots of wierd and cool things most of them software would be a hurdle. https://www.ebay.com/itm/326717778209 https://www.ebay.com/itm/326900427664

I tend to drop the model name/number into an llm asking about the constituent parts if there are any open source projects around it or any uses for it in a home lab.

1 Like

Suspect the challenging bit is that it locks you into a platform that is old enough that it becomes a bottleneck on that side (and also whether it has AVX512). There is no point in having a TB of memory/optane for LLMs if it isn’t fast enough to actually run a 1TB sized models at a usable pace

That would be so in regard to Optane 200, Optane 300 wasn’t even released, 4/5Gen Intel Xeon Scalable was to support Optane 300. Every thing was axed, I have my doubts that a per-production motherboard made it out. So the Optane 300 sticks are just a collectors item of sorts. Don’t mind me being uninformed.

Optane 300 was not axed, the modules were sold and SPR processors supported them. Not all motherboard manufactures enabled it in the BIOS, but many Asrock Rack and some Supermicro boards do.

Thank you, in my digging I didn’t find anything, saying it was ever sold in any quantity. Will dig into it some more thanks.