Intel Optane for Work/Daily driving?

So ive just bought myself into the Threadripper pro platform with WRX80-SU8-IPMI and AMD 3945WX and thinking about storage, i Currently have Dual Samsung 2Tb PM981 NVME as my main Drives and 3x 8Tb drives for my Simulations and Other important Data. And honestly Since i am now on TR PRO my main bottleneck now would be IO speed, and Ive found Intel 905P Optane for pretty cheap these days(around £800 for the 1Tb Models) on Ebay and other secondhand stores what seem pretty decent bang for the buck, and pick up a P5800X 400Gb for Cache while computing the simulations / Boot Drive if possible. And if anything im just curious if the 905P is even worth the price vs something like a a 980 Pro from samsung.

1 Like

It depends on your workload. For daily desktop usage you will likely not notice any difference with a 905p. The biggest strength of Optane is in its random access times, with extremely low latency and huge IOPS numbers. The current Samsung 980 Pro drives boast very high IOPS these days, but they still tend to fall short of Optane’s latency.

The other annoying part is that there aren’t many Optane SKUs that don’t require either a PCIe slot or a U.2 adapter.

2 Likes

The other annoying part is that there aren’t many Optane SKUs that don’t require either a PCIe slot or a U.2 adapter.

Although with the TR Pro platform i now have access to 7 PCI slots and alot of PCI Lanes what should be helpful in the long run. I guess ill ask around at my work to see what the other guys are using and if they can Test the Optane vs 980 Pros , since I have only just started fulltime and still getting around and learning the process but with the new machine im building/still buying parts for im wanting to just get the best i can for my Money and not have to worry about anything and get on with my job.

1 Like

If you are concerned with I/O, Optane would be good considering it’s performance in latency and I/O. Optane as a boot drive IMO is not useful. You have NVMe (maybe RAID0) for that… Which should get you 7GBps reads. Optane for your simulations would be interesting based on the strengths of Optane.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.