Intel Launches Ice-Lake CPUs

I still think CPU Manufacturer should have gone with what Automakers did. If you have too many skew’s, just date them. I know many techy’s want a new fancy name and Razer as well as Apple got some flak for it, but it’s the only way, otherwise, in 5 years those CPU Names will cause Buffer overflows in retailers Databases… Attach the core count and voilà:

i7 8 Top (2019 Model)
i7 8 Mid (2019 Model)
i5 4 Top (2017 Model)
etc.
Gives a direct sense of relative performance and recency without overcomplicating things. And it works forever:

i7 24 Top (2048 Model)

Side note to that, I wonder why they did not release them as lower power, super efficient chips with all if the security patch’s and everything eating their IPC improvemtns so that next gen they can release an actually maybe safe chip and then be able to claim further speed improvements I’ve rtheir super safe and super efficient chips.

1 Like

I would like them to name as follows.

Intel core i9-K835917G

i9 = just means SMT, i3/i5/i7 don’t have that. Otherwise marketing.
K = generation, K=11th gen
8 = core count
35 = wattage TDP
9 = release month
17 = release year
G = includes graphics, N = no integrated GPU

3 Likes

This should be an internal codename and not a product name. You shouldn’t need a guide on how to decrypt a 12 figure modelname that looks like an MD5 Hash.
I like you Idea, but not to print that on a pricesticker at best buy.

3 Likes

It’s better than i5-7Y57 because everything in the model name actually means something.

In i5-7Y57, the i5 normally meant 4 cores/4 threads, but in this case it was 2 cores/4 threads. The 7 usually means Kaby Lake, but in some cases was still Skylake. Y means Y-series, which is ultra low power, but Intel decided to move it to the middle of the model number for some reason. And 57 means F-all.

What do you think the chip I described should be named? Just “i9 low” wouldn’t work, as it’s actually a top SKU in the ultrabook chip power class. And 2019 model wouldn’t work if they release more than one per year, which often happens.

I just don’t know. The whole naming scheme is screwed and i don’t think it’s easily fixable.
Maybe just give each CPU it’s cinebench score as a name? :wink:

1 Like

As I see it, you need to capture the number of cores and threads, the power consumption, whether it includes graphics, and the core generation. Those are the things I need to know when picking a processor, and it would be pretty neat to get them without having to go to Ark.

For technically minded like us, yes.
For the people who care if it makes them more money, kinda.
For everyone else, no.

Intel will find it hard to change naming scheme, that said, AMD should have named Ryzen differently.
Ryzen_Corecount_Generation_Sku_buffer 0’s_Indicator would have worked nicely:

• Ryzen 8 1700X
  • Ryzen 4 1200G
1 Like