I’ve been fielding various inquiries from friends and family about LLM tools, what they do and how to run them locally.
The realities of set up, onboarding and education have generally been too high a barrier for any of them to really get into it fully.
But today- with the introduction of Intel’s “AI Playground” suite, I’ve got both my brother and my buddy/euchre partner running inference and stable diffusion after maybe 20 minutes of setup.
Intel cooked with this one. It’s gonna bring local LLM tools to a lot more people.
It’s also working awesome on my Arc B50 and the CUDA version on my 5090 is holding its own.
3 Likes
The setup was incredibly straightforward, like installing any regular app.
Got it working on my b580 (however OpenVINO seems to be bugged with dependencies failing to install).
for whatever reason, I had to select “any user on this computer” rather than just my user for everything to work right. But I showed my buddy my local chat- running on my phone via telegram- and now everyone is hooked. I actually bought another intel card I’m now waiting for just to make an “always on” chat I can use.
This is probably one of the biggest hurdles with local AI: the hardware can be capable, but getting everything installed, configured, and working together is still intimidating for non-technical users.
If AI Playground can reduce that setup friction to 20 minutes, that’s a meaningful improvement. The interesting part isn’t just making local LLMs faster—it’s making them approachable enough that people who would normally default to cloud services can actually experiment with local inference and image generation. I am curious to see how well the experience holds up as users move beyond the basic models and start trying different models, quantizations, and workloads.