Intel FUBAR ... again - Kernel memory leak in nearly every Intel CPU of the last decade (Spectre hits everyone, Meltdown still Intel exclusive)

Any serious concerns for the average end user or gamer?

Security wise… plenty. Gamers… fuck yeah, 5% reduction in performance minimum? Yeah… that’s bad considering Intel loves running touting their IPC crown.

4 Likes

Currently I have no issues running BF1 and BF4 and some other titles at 4k at a solid 60fps with a water cooled 1080ti and a 7700k.

If this changes, I will be very angry lol.

2 Likes

I think software patches have to be included into all OS. So yeah, performance hit incoming. I just hope AMD is not gonna suffer from that.

1 Like

I wonder when/if a hardware fix will/can be done on new silicon. Its a rather involved architectural change.

I was just thinking about that Intel marketing over the summer…

Definitely possible, they’ll probably fix it in the next two iterations. (hopefully the next one)

Reading on the Linux subreddit just now their is this comment:

1 Like

Greaaaat…

Why do they half-ass patches that land in mainline?

1 Like

Another reason to NOT put PFSense on a Virtual Machine??

6 Likes

As if you didn’t already have enough.

1 Like

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=1

@wendell an early benchmark

4 Likes

You can imagine how urgent this is to push this so fast.

Adding PTI=off on grub config is not that a big deal until the full patch though…

Generally though…30% performance hit???Wow what a F!@#$!$! up…People using XEONs on production machines will be pissed…

1 Like

Yeah, but it’s not hard to disable it for an entire vendor.

Yeah, we haven’t decided if we’re going to patch our systems yet. We might just risk it because we have control over the metal.

That said, we’re going to move away from intel for a bit.

2 Likes

AMD has crazy luck too…The timing for this is insane…Just when the first epyc machines are shipped this hits. They could not have planned it so well even if they tried…

4 Likes

It is probably quite bad to a point for Intel. I run the 2600K (which I love) and I have a threadripper so I am all in from both. My question is … in all fairness … AMD was touting the “machine learning” (whatever that means in a CPU) in a bunch of their marketing material. So I must ask … is anyone coming out on the light side of what could be a market fiasco. Please let’s work the problem and not get lost in the spin.

1 Like

The machine learning things are just used to do branch prediction. I doubt that it is sth as fancy as they are presenting it and i cannot see how it could be exploitable…

1 Like

This is confusing.
Why does Intel beeing shit now slow down AMD?

Also: what do I have to do to work arround the “Intel fuck up slows AMD users”?

1 Like

I want AMD’s EPYC to succeed for many reasons. It is a marvel of engineering. The thing is … I also know how corporate can derail a modern mavel.

Yeah i definitely see the point…

1 Like