Intel FUBAR ... again - Kernel memory leak in nearly every Intel CPU of the last decade (Spectre hits everyone, Meltdown still Intel exclusive)

The other question is… how many other products being created by Intel is this bug present in? Could this issue be present for a year… or two before it is fixed at the hardware level?

At least on the CPU side, I’ve been there too. But imagine someone that just bought something X299…

Well, they patch an issue that does not exist on that platform and then complain about a performance hit … I would not trust those guys.

3 Likes

Some people have mentioned it going all the way back to Pentium III chips

1 Like

Not that surprising. All of Intel’s architecture since Core trace their roots back to the PIII

3 Likes

Have a look at CVE-2017-5925. :confused:

The oldest I know of to be affectef for relatively certain is Westmere.

Which means they knew about their shit show and of course with no competition could ignore it.

To be fair the progression based model Intel have been pioneering does give the buyer a sense of pride and accomplishment.

3 Likes

It lists a few arm chips even.
What is going on… :wink:

I don’t know. It’s either very inaccurate or very scary.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-5925#vulnConfigurationsArea

Current Description

Page table walks conducted by the MMU during virtual to physical address translation leave a trace in the last level cache of modern Intel processors. By performing a side-channel attack on the MMU operations, it is possible to leak data and code pointers from JavaScript, breaking ASLR.

States Intel in the description but lists a bunch of other CPU’s of which all are affected in varying degrees.

Just a reminder of something completely unrelated…

14 Likes

Linus has some interesting things to say about GRSecurities

+1000000000

2 Likes

That’s not highly suspicious at all.

1 Like

Smart guys, know what they are talking about, but they want to make money on corporate fear/support., which is not terrible imho.

2 Likes

Not a problem with making money on fear. Smart people should be able to approach things with a level head.

What are the chances we see Intel open up some code in the near future???

slim to none.

2 Likes

Fuckwit made me snicker when I read it :slight_smile: Not my 8350 :open_mouth: I had plans

1 Like

Seems Just like what happened with the Equifax ordeal. Didn’t their CEO’s dump stock a few days before the breaches ?