Intel 9xxx chips later this year

I have been thinking about the i7-9700K with 8 cores 8 threads.

Im only speculating again but I think some nasty spectre bugs are coming and turning off hypterthreading might be needed for security and 8 cores are needed for gaming performance.

Behold Intel’s answer. Maybe I am wrong.

No.

100% market segmentation, 0% spectre related.

4 Likes

Yep and 9 is bigger then Ryzen 7

2 Likes

You may be correct but it is a PR nightmare. Why have a premium performance chip with no Hyperthreading.

Intel get 180+ days vulnerability warning where AMD gets zero days and the earth is falling.

I have this gut feeling a current spec Intel chip may need hyperthreading turned off at some point this next 9 months.

You can hang me in a year as a false profit :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suspect hyperthreading may soon become a thing of the past anyway. Intel is really going to have to pull up her socks and stop resting on her laurels if she is going to hold with AMD. Her last act at Computex was a universal face palm. (And this is coming from a hard core Intel user.) WTG AMD :slight_smile:

And a perfect slot for an i9 9800k with 6/12 cores threads. Hyper threading back and fill in nicely between 8 and 16 threads. That and they all ready have 6/12 ready to from the last series so some tweaks and away they go.

The number gap between i9 and i7 is strange, but makes sense when looking at the 8c/8t. There is the obvious 6c/12t missing.

pretty sure it is. And I also expect mayonaise again because 80°C is fine!

2 Likes

this. Neither intel nor their consumer space customers care about this issue.

Im calling the future.

Give me 8 months and laught

LA_Noir_press_x_to_doubt.png

you can’t really make x86 parallelise like you can other modern architectures without a non-vendor specific ISA extension/revision that replaces a lot of the functionality of the base set. SMT is there for a reason.

what the hell does russia have to do with anything ?

Yeah, this is just more anti-consumer market segmentation from intel. Once AMD gets its IPC up Intel will be forced to stop this sort of douchebaggery and compete directly.

My question is whether the 9th gen chips fix Meltdown. If not, that would be a complete debacle.

I would say 1/3rd chance it does.

I would be shocked if they don’t. Meltdown is a bug, plain and simple. It isn’t like Spectre. Not fixing it would be completely unacceptable.

Imma bet no, or at least not properly if it is. Gonna be a patch built in from the manufacturers, I don’t think they have full hardware fix there yet.

1 Like

chip litho/design cycle is on the order of a decade, meltdown was discovered this year. It’s gonna be a while.

1 Like

You’re (again) confusing meltdown with spectre. Spectre is an emergent result of fundamental design choices. Meltdown is a bug.

Chips are typically taped out 12-18 months before release. Intel was probably notified about meltdown when the CVEs went up in Feb 2017.