INTEL 17 Qubit Quantum Computer

So intel has created a 17 Qubit quantum chip. Apparently the condition needed to operate are colder however it has a higher range of operation which means it can maintain a more stable quantum environment. The superconducting chip, equivalent to the size of a half-dollar coin, is manufactured in such as way that it can work reliably in higher temperatures. With the new architecture, they have reduced radio frequency interference between the qubits. Its rumored they achieved this in how they coupled the rf connections at the bottom of the chip to the quantum substrate but as is the nature of proprietary technology we must wait for intel to release what they did and how they did it.

I find this interesting however I think that there is sort of another technology aiming at solving a similar issue in computing and that is the memristor (though its main focus is memory and neural networks it can do alot of other things). I am currently at a university that gives me a unique view on these old but revised and interesting devices.

At a basic level A memristor is a special component in the realm of electrical engineering. It is an quasi active electrical component that limits or regulates the flow of electrical current in a circuit. This sounds similar to a resistor however a memristor is able to retain a memory of how much charge flowed through it which makes it capable of storing bits. Memristors are important because they are non-volatile, meaning that they retain memory without power.

The way I can explain a memristor is to make people compare it to an imaginary pipe that carries water. When the water (charge) flows in one direction, the pipe’s diameter expands and allows the water to flow faster – but when the water (charge) flows in the opposite direction, the pipe’s diameter contracts and slows the water’s flow down. If the water is shut off, the pipe retains its diameter until the water is turned back on. I am going to extend this analogy to the electrostatic realm of electric circuits, when a memristor’s power is shut off, the memristor retains its resistance value. This would mean that if power to a computer was cut off with a hard shut down, all the applications and documents that were open before the shut down would still be right there the screen when the computer was restarted.

This variability in resistance also allows us to be able to set different bit values at each level similar to a quantum computer having a defined number of qu bits. This is where analog and digital once again cross and prove that ultimately neither is here to stay or go.

Just an interesting though that a memristor can store many bits at the same time and process them based on the amount of current flowing through the device. Its not the same concept of a quantum computer as its based on electromagnetic spin and has a defined number of qu bits. Where a memristor could theoretically have an infinite number of stored and processed bits. In practice though we have only begun to start manufacturing them again based on new technological processes. They can be applied to neuromorphic computing and do not need temperature extremes to operate. However they can be susceptible to certain parasitic in the circuit but thats another topic for another day

@wendell The 17 qu bit Qcomputer Might be worth a talk on the L1T news? or the memristors but I dont have documentation I can share on that research unfortunately lol

5 Likes

Meh no specs not proven tests, just here is this thing intel fabbed for us.

If it pans out and works, sure it might be cool, but they arent the only ones in the boat.

2 Likes

the fact it was fabbed and shipped off to qutech says something. Im going to argue that its a working prototype and is actually cool and not a meh deal

tmw its just an 8700k
kek

1 Like

I did not realize memristors could be used for computations, thanks for the introduction. I don’t see them as replacement for quantum computers though, because they can only be in one state at any one time. Yes, the different resistance values allow them to store more than one bit, but not all the values possible combinations of bits simultaneously. Quantum computers are appealing because qbits can be both set and cleared simultaneously, which allows for any number of computations to happen in parallel. Am I missing something?

Arent there quite a few people working on it and making stuff? Thats more or less why I said Meh. And intel is just pushing this news to try and keep them out of the bad boy corner. They need to good publicity, who know what % they have in the chip they developed

1 Like

Your not missing anything. The Memristors however can be combined in parrellel and simultaneously store different values and process them or simply act as memory all at once. They dont work in a simultaneous mode like quantum computers however as far as a step in between they can serve that point.

They can also act as comparators and other kinds of logic. It really depends on how they are configured and the rest is still in research again. They were made a long time ago but we lacked the computing infrastructure to understand their potential

2 Likes

Intel does not just care about the x86 environment any more. Their interests have diversified a bit which has also kind of stagnated their x86 research because the money is being split up a bit more. Im willing to bet that intel made the chip because Qutech is a fabless research company. Which means they need someone like intel to make the process etc for them Im sure I do not need to explain what fabless means

Yeah but what % do you think intel has stake in that company. If its low, then this is just PR for intel / securing rights to fab them later for them.

1 Like

who knows. Im betting its higher then you think. Intel has been interested in quantum for quite a bit of time. Same with post silicon devices

[insert TIM joke]
[insert “can it play crysis”]
[insert MCE joke]

… I got nothin’

I really have to get a better understanding of the quantum computer stuff. A general overview about where we are on that could make foran interesting video.

If anyone hasn’t seen it yet. It’s a typical superficial LTT video, but still - you don’t get shown around an actual quantum computer every day: