Installing Radeon 7nm on Arch Linux... 3-11-19--Experiment Continues

Nice…

Which Distro, kernel, and was that via GPU passthrough?

1 Like

Ubuntu 18.10, Kernel 4.18.0-15-generic #16+vega (default kernel + the vega reset patch), and it is 100% GPU passthrough to windows. Working really well so far.

1 Like

Ok, I need you guys to talk some sense into me. About two weeks ago I killed the 7700k in my gaming pc running it at 5.7Ghz in my server room at -26C(fun but stupid).

With this GPU that I moded

I ordered another 7700k for an arm and a leg but now I am having second thoughts.

I think I should cancel that order and just get another radeon 7 and configure passthough on this dual xeon rig that I used to min with.

I am really trying to separate my workstation from my gaming rig because I tend to care less and experiment more on my gaming computers.

BTW. Here is my workstation.

I now cable management is not my strong suit lol.

So what do you all think I should do (1) cancel the ($460+)7700k and get another 7nm for the xeon rig or (2)stick with the 7700k and my 1070ti for gaming??

1 Like

Depends on what games and what resolution you want to play.

5760x1080

I like racing and first person shooters.

You could nearly outfit a new system with Ryzen, motherboard and ram for that!

1 Like

I run triple 4K with a RX Vega 56!

At how many fps? My 3 screens are 4k but i usually run triple 1080p for gaming.

I get 56FPS in Fear at medium/high. That is the lowest FPS game I have found so far.
Overwatch upto 144fps (avg 114) Ultra
HoTS upto 144fps (large team fight 95, farming 125) Ultra
Warframe ~120fps max settings
Dirt 4 75-105FPS (depending on terrain and time of day) High - CMAA
Grid Autosport 85+ High 2x4f EQAA
League of legends Ultra = 144+
CSGO High 4xAA 8x AF = ~120-225fps (depends on map and player count on screen, etc) - CPU Limited
Soulcalibur VI = ~60FPS MAX settings (I think its capped or something since I’m usually just at 60 flat always)
Trackmania Turbo = 100+ Max settings
Bioshock 2 = 80+ Max settings (Might be CPU limited)
Quake Champions = ~80fps decent ping servers, high settings 85% scaling

If I think of any other games I’ve tested I’ll post them.

New experiment… Funny thing is SLI will enable the but there some fps limitation.

4 Likes

I’m wondering how much the low quantity of cards available is true. Perhaps this is not as much card for your everyday gamer, but much more the best thing a tinkerer can have under thousand dollhairs.

Been drooling after these cards from the moment they released* the information what these cards really are. *or rather users found out.

Well the first thing for me to upgrade is rest of the system, still running with ddr3 and pci-e gen2, sofirst i should upgrade to Ryzen from FX and then i should look for these beautiful beasts!

These are tinkerers tools these are!

1 Like

You just made my head hurt :slight_smile: Sli ?

I wish I had two …

1 Like

I am wondering if SLI could be made to work fully? It enables with no errors then just does like 20 FPS in Timespy.

Have you tired anything other than timespy it could just be that its broken.

And you are running g dual socket, are both the cards on one CPU? Could that cause problems too with them taking to each other and each CPU and then each CPU talking to each other too making a round about signal path.

I think there is a grand total of 1 video on youtube showing Vega Vii in Crossfire.
Seems to work without problems in supported games.
Video in question (german):

TimeSpy at 1:04:10

Excellent point i will check if they are both on the same cpu. And yes only timespy.

It works.

This was stock.

What did you change?

Installed the second card in the right pcie slot like you said.

1 Like