Installing Radeon 7nm on Arch Linux... 3-11-19--Experiment Continues

Ah sweet, it was just a guess I have no experience with it just know vaguely how they are set up. Glad it worked.

1 Like

Educated guesses is what we do best.

2 Likes

Really cool experiment.
Now I just need some Vega II’s to test too :slight_smile:

Updated 3-11-19

1 Like

My eyes must be betraying me, Becose i’m seing quadro :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It seems to be no good for crossfire because the option disappears after more than 2 cards are installed. Unless someone knows a way around this???

I have never know there to be a limit like that before, I wonder why it has changed now.

Crossfire the crossfires!

Anyways this is pretty bad ass and possibly a reason of the shortage but if i still manage to get mine this week i’ll forgive you.

My guess would be userbase that has >2 cards and bandwidth limitations of PCIe Gen 3.

1 Like

on some high end 990fx boards you can run 4way crossfire just fine. old PCIe Gen 3 . given that the fx line was repurposed server chips and had all the lanes. on my crosshair v i can run 8x8x8x8 or 16x16x4x4 or 16x8x8x8

yes you would have to run threadripper to do this now but :man_shrugging:

I have the asus z10pe-d8 ws motherboard with dual E5-2673v3 xeons installed. Is this capable?

probably not as easily as the lanes are split between the two cpus.
having a host and a guest vm with a pair of crossfired gpus is probably the better option as you can pin cores from one cpu to each os and pair of cards. to be honest i have no clue about intel and there chip set and lane setup. i went with AMD and have only used AMD systems since the dual core Athlon days .

I am 99% certain FX is PCIe Gen2, and the GPUs from 2014 were not nearly as powerful as modern cards.
Apart from that, there has to be a reason for AMD to push forward to PCIe Gen4. I bet Vii has something to do with it.

there were a few revisions with 3.0 but not many.

1 Like

Late to the party but yeah my Radeon 7 came in day before yesterday. No SR-IOV. Amdpls I just need like 5 seats

As cool as that would be, if you want that for gaming a Radeon V2 is not gonna do much divided up 5 ways…

If all it is doing is a bunch if desktops and one game fine but any more than, or even just, 2 separate games and it is gonna have to be old light games or super slow modern games.

Indie games exist, or party games that only require a browser (Use your words, Quiplash, etc).
SR-IOV support would make the Vii the cheapest SR-IOV card in existance.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Soooo now I am wondering, how are you powering these?

2x 750 watt and 1x 1600 watt PSUs

1 Like