Installing 2nd NVMe SSD made my primary unbootable

I get this error. If I insert the USB afterwards then it just does a loop of the previous insert boot media error.

Should I just cut my losses and install windows on my 2nd ssd and try to recover as much as I can from the first install?

You’ve probably solved this in some way by now but here’s my two cents.

I think your problem is UEFI wants GPT partitioned drives and EFI. If you originally installed with the older style MBR (and I’m pretty sure you did since you could not create an EFI partition) then you need to turn on CSM in your UEFI BIOS. CSM is Compatibility Support Module and it enables old-style BIOS compatibility. You might have to also turn off Secure Boot and Fast Boot if those are enabled.

I had this problem a while ago when I upgraded a Windows PC from a SATA SSD with MBR to an NVMe drive. I ended up reinstalling Windows 10 because it was just easier.

If you do reinstall (or you already did) be sure to erase all the existing partitions and reinitialize the drive with GPT.

1 Like

Yep, ended up installing on the new one and formatting the old one after backing up the files. Felt very tired after the tedious attempt.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.