Ingesting of raw footage to an of site server

Myself and my team have been working remote since march. We have a decent size server onsite but since we are all working remotely we are trying to figure a way to move files and projects to the server. Right now we do not have access to this sever unless we go use a vpn and then remote desktop. What I am looking for is an upload solution that could allow for

1. secure uploads
  2. faster speeds.
  3. an app interface that allows for drag and drop capibilities.

The reason I am taging camerastuff in this post is our projects are all commercal productions and the size of the projects are so large due to a move to raw video. We back up our Raw footage for a year and then only master shots are kept. In my most recent project I could not get to load through vpn due to speed. So I was forced to go onsite. The projects tipped the scales at 1.8tb.

Nextcloud would offer you some of those things but you arent likely going to be able to do anything about the speeds. There are some losses to VPN overhead but ultimately the speed of your internet is your limiting factor in either direction.

2 Likes

Sounds like the difference between residential class (consumer) Internet service and business class. Consumer tends to wow people with a huge download number like 300mbit, and then you find the upload is choked down to 10mbit.

A business class connection might only offer 50-100mbit, but in both directions, upload and download.

The VPN isn’t likely that big of a bottle neck. Most processors and even some network cards have dedicated features that greatly accelerate the VPN math.

I have moved this thread to the correct sub-forum category.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.