Inexpensive Rails

I've been looking around for inexpensive rails for rackmount servers for a 3U and 4U server. I've been looking at the usual suspects (eBay, Amazon, et. al) with mixed results. Are there any places I should be looking for this sort of thing, either brick and mortar, secret garages and a guy named Jeff, or some kind of wholesale equipment website?

1 Like

Look for PC recycling brick and mortar places. Usually what they do when they recycle racks of equipment is pull the rails off in pairs, tape them together and throw them into a drum with $10 price tags.

X-Case in the UK sell these universal rack mount rails so check out the equivalent US? companies that sell 3U/4U ATX cases.

Sadly I've thrown out hundreds of rails recently when we refurbed our server room and they even came with free HP G5 1U servers :slight_smile:

Well, it turns out SuperMicro uses a sort of non-standard mounting style, and universal rails won't work, at least on my 2U SuperMicro. Additionally, all the 2U kits I can find for SuperMicro are the rectangular quick mount rails and I've got a threaded hole server rack.

I use these for 2 rackmount cases in my rack that do not have regular type rails available. They're supposed to hold up to 200 pounds.

Never thought of that, thanks. Since you seem to have experience with these, how do these handle long servers? It'd be a bad time if they slid off the back of these.

I have a 35 inch depth rack in my house, long enough to hold a Poweredge 2950 without it sticking out of the back, and these are able to extend out and fit the rack with room to spare. Unless your case has all the hard drives and PSU in the back (lolwut?) then i can't imagine any computer being unbalanced enough to tip backwards. Even then the rack ears at the front of your case should prevent that.