So tonight I was swapping out my old stock AMD cpu cooler with something new and shiney, the Cooler Master T4. Everything's kind of gone wrong though, and I need a bit of help.
- power off, set up work space and bring PC over
- break down mobo, go to (gently) pull off old stock AMD cooler
- cpu comes off with cooler
- set it aside, prep new cooler
- go to remove cpu from old cooler, still a little freaked
- wiggle off cpu, careful not to touch the pins
- bitch just FLIES off old cooler and hits the floor, solid side down
- oh fuck oh man ohfukcsfvs
- check everything out
- no bent pins, no nothing
- proceed as usual, install cooler no problemo, pea sized thermal paste etc. etc.
- go to boot and no display, gpu just keeps revving then slowing, revving then slowing like it's hitting post over and over
- still nothing on screen
- power off, check all connections, retry, check everything else, retry, reset cmos, retry
- fucking nothing
- nothing at all
What does this mean? The logical assumption is the cpu is dead, but it just seems unlikely without there being the LEAST bit of physical damage to the chip. Any ideas?
Failing that, could you guys point me in the direction of a new mobo/cpu (current mobo is only AM3, so any higher and I gotta upgrade) for UNDER $180 that matches my current performance?
- AMD 955 Black Edition
- Radeon 6950
- 8GB DDR3
- 80GB SSD
- 1TB storage
- 700W Corsair Gold PSU
help me please ;_;