In need of decent but not ridiculous bluetooth speaker recommendations

Got a new job recently and one day a guy rolled his toolbox over to my area so he could work on a thing and played this

At that moment I decided I needed a speaker for irl shitposting listening to vaporwave while I work, It will sit in the top section of this toolbox

• it will always have power next to it but batteries would be nice.
  • bluetooth is pretty much required but if you can sweet talk me out of it do try.
  • do not need any smart functionality
  • does not need waterproofing/dustproofing/shock resistance
  • needs to sound good at high volume levels because it will be in a machine shop environment (low distortion)
  • aiming for under $200
  • preferably available on Amazon but not required

I’ve been comparing the JBL charge 3 and flip 4. There is a person at work with a charge 3 but they dont work by me and dont use it that much so I dont know how it performs.

Even a 2.1 stereo shelf system would work but it cant be massive.

thoughts?

also another thread coming soon because I need 20x the amount of vaporwave I have now because I work 60 hours a week

1 Like

I have this it is pretty decent and didn’t cost me much either:

The JBL Charge 3 is a really good fit for a work shop.
If you need more sound I’d recommend the Sony XB40.

I don’t personally own one, but I have heard the sound outta the small Bose Bluetooth speaker and it’s impressive. It’s the Sound Link Mini II. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like you can buy them new on amazon anymore. Really too bad cuz it was a great sounding speaker.

EDIT: Looks like you can still buy them from Costco if that helps.

I have the full size SoundLink and it’s pee goo. I don’t use it much but it gets plenty loud. You could roll your own solution with your own speakers which would make for neat project and might sound better for less $$

another option is a 2.1 system with a chromecast audio

Just for shits and giggles:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-promedia-2-1-bluetooth-speaker-system-3-piece-black/4924200.p?skuId=4924200

2.1 system, more power than just about any battery using solution, actual subwoofer, bluetooth, not smart.

More RMS wattage, clean sound, bluetooth, on Amazon, knobs and shit, looks nice?

I own a flip 3 and I love it. The flip 4 has a marginal sound clarity improvement, and is waterproof(where mine is not). The charge 3 is basically a flip 4 with bit more volume, bass, and 2x the battery life. With the additional ability to charge your phone. So given that you need one that gets fairly loud I would go with the charge 3.

Chromecast audio is not a bad idea. I started going down the RPi route to build something for streaming when I realized I could just get a Chromecast audio for cheaper than did exactly what I needed… and much smaller.

I’ve been wanting to get the JBL Xtreme for the garage. It’s sub $200 on Amazon right now. Would that be overkill for your box?

The CC audio is just more hardware dragging you into the google account. They are cheap and even have optical out but they are also listening to whatever you are listening to. Even if you wanna run only spotify or something.

They should thank me for my musical taste.

Yes, I know, but I also have an Android phone in my pocket the majority of the time so there’s really no point in me losing sleep over them jamming to my Spotify streams on the CCA because that’s a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the data they have on me.

1 Like

i have a Boombot REX $25

not only will it last days of use 4-6? but it charges while still playing, its on from waking up to shower / breakfast, throw on my bag for bike to work, at work and back home. if it starts to die USB it for a few hours? it seems to have 6 volume levels

1: can hear if on me
2: can hear well
3: around the house
4: unnecessarily loud
5: rude
6: uncharted territory

again back to the it charges while playing, i keep a battery pack in my bag and just plug it in… my god i love this thing

Been there, it is a very comfortable system for sure. :wink:
Just wanted to let you know.

If you have an old android phone you could use that as a spotify thingy.

Plex can use Chrome Audio, otherwise the roommates and friend use Streaming apps with it also

You still have to set it up with a google account, don’t you?
And by listening I mean shazam-style analyzing, so the actual source doesn’t matter.

It’s just a theory of course but google has all the tools at hand.

yeah, it has my gmail.

it wouldnt ever have any thing remotely personal to send, so i guess thats a small price to pay for the convenience.

It would be ideal tbh

None of that bothers me

I’d be streaming music from Google music app with nexus phone to another Google device, meh

1 Like

I was gonna suggest the Gear4 House Party speaker, but it sounds like you want/need a little more and have the budget.

Thanks all for the help.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-what-new-thing-you-acquired-recently/88085/10243?u=kewldude007