IMC quality of 2697A v4 vs 6950X?

I’m looking at side-grading an X99-based VFIO workstation from a Core i7-6950X to a Xeon E5-2697A v4. I’ve got four sticks of DDR4-3200 in there now and my main concern is that the Xeon won’t be able to drive them at that speed. Are all Broadwell-E(P) IMCs created equal or will I be stuck at JEDEC speeds and timings? (If that’s the case, I’ll probably swap the kit out for some RDIMMs.) The board is an Asus X99-DELUXE II if that makes any difference. Thank you!

All of the IMCs are created equal, but Intel does not support XMP profiles on Broadwell-EP/EX SKUs. They are artificially locked to 1:1 2400MT/s. There was some limited support on Haswell-EP with 16xx chips (and EFI hacks for 26xx,) but Intel killed all the fun with Broadwell. It’s a shame because Broadwell’s IMC is actually quite strong for still technically being first generation PHY and can run much higher DRAM speeds than any Haswell-E.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.