I'm looking for a Linux distro that has

Ethernet working out of the box
Simple driver installations and updates
Clean update manager
Traditional, but modern Windows-like desktop environment (Windows 98 - 7)
No bloat packaged with installation (just the bare necessities).
Does not impede Steamplay/Proton
Windows Snapping

I have been using Linux Mint on my laptop for some months now. But I have become frustrated by a couple of things. One, Steamplay is not able to recognize the integrated Nvidia graphics and instead defaults to Intel. Two, Ethernet is not plug and go. Three, I love the layout of the Cinnamon desktop environment but it lacks customization.

This new Linux installation will not be for my laptop, but for my new PC. I have ordered all the parts and everything should be here Friday. I would like the distribution to be compatible with the hardware. Here are the relevant hardware components:

Ryzen 1700X
RX 580 8GB MSI ARMOR OC
16GB 3000MHZ DDR4 Ballistix RAM
500GB WB BLACK NVME M.2 SSD [2018]
ASUS Prime X370-Pro

Edit: I want to put an emphasis on gaming

Thanks for your time

I’m happy with Fedora, since the upgrade to 29 Firefox isnt very fon of YT anymore but Chromium needs much less Processor Resources

Have you tried Steamplay? I’m assuming it’s as good as another other distro.

If you use a standard motherboard that includes standard Intel networking capability (like that Asus board), and you have internet access that provides an ethernet connection (e.g., a cable TV provider in the U.S.), an ethernet DHCP link will be negotiated as your system comes up.

If you’re finding that is not the case with Mint , it’s unusual and you should post a separate entry here outlining the details.

That “Windows-like desktop” – panel and menu popping up from the bottom left corner – is what you get in most desktop environments available on Linux, include Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, KDE, LXDE, and LXQT. (Mint offers individual distributions using the first three.)

Windows snapping is a very common feature. It will be available in your current Mint system, whether you’re using Cinnamon, MATE or XFCE. It can be toggled on and off via the system’s configuration/preferences tools.

“bloat” is a matter of definition. Most distributions include a large base of software in order to appeal to a larger base of users. In any case, packages you do not want on you system can be removed. (Current Ubuntu releases do include a “minimal” feature in the installer that sets up sparse system. Some distributions also offer other forms of minimal installation that provide fine grained selection of installed packages. These assume the user knows which packages to install.)

Open source drivers are integrated with the Linux kernel, which detects hardware components on boot and ensures the correct drivers are used. This is the standard procedure across Linux and happens with every distribution. Driver release versions will vary from one distribution to the next.

Some hardware requires, or is best used with, proprietary drivers. Some distributions include these by default, some provide ways to download and install them, and some leave users completely on their own. Ubuntu, Ubuntu derivatives, and Mint allow users to opt in to proprietary drivers during the installation. They also offer a “driver manager” tool that’s typically used to install proprietary Nvidia drivers.

Typically, laptops with Nvidia cards intend for the OS to use the Intel video that’s built into the Intel CPU for routine display tasks and use the Nvidia card for more demanding tasks. Windows and OS X handle this switching back and forth between GPU’s transparently. Linux less so. It’s a common issue so searching for info on your specific hardware configuration, or checking the Mint forums, should turn something up. Or post a query here.

1 Like

TLDR: In general, stock Ubuntu with some tweaks serves your purposes well. Perhaps you would prefer Ubuntu MATE though, which is another excellent desktop choice, and perhaps something else entirely.

For your specific points:

Pretty much every distro with a modern package management system supports this, though some might be a little simpler to use than others. Unless you want to get your hands dirty in the command line, try to keep to the Ubuntu based distros. Even Fedora and OpenSuSE sometimes require you to sink down to the terminal.

Do not let your choice of desktop dictate your choice of distro. Once installed, any distro can pretty easily be made to work with any desktop environment, and the mainstream ones are quite configurable. For instance, if you go with stock Ubuntu, you could install a Windows-like Gnome theme: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/easily-change-gnome-layout

And if all else fails, you could install a different desktop environment like MATE.

Steam and Proton are first and foremost developed for Ubuntu, so if that is your daily driver, run stock Ubuntu.

As for bloat, please specify. If it’s how much space it takes up, my current entire Ubuntu system running Gnome takes up 24 GB of memory, with around 65% of that being my home folder. My Linux system therefore takes up, at most, 10 GB. Anything not used does not ever eat any resources outside of the harddrive space.

A high-speed m2 drive with 3.2Gbps read/write speeds should make your system lightning fast, and any drive over 30 GB would be more than enough space for the base system (sans /home and /opt). Which, well, cannot be said about other certain operating systems…

If you still want a minimal system, stock Ubuntu offers a minimal install where you then simply add the stuff you want yourself. If you do not want to go through that hassle, use Ubuntu MATE or some other more lightweight distro.

Hope that helps, and happy Linuxing! :slight_smile:

Ubuntu does all of these things.

This is more of a Desktop environment issue, I recommend KDE, Kubuntu is Ubuntu with KDE preinstalled.

There’s a checkbox during installation that installs the minimum required packages.

Hybrid graphics is a known pain point and vulkan(required for DXVK in proton) doesn’t work with these setups. The Ethernet issue shouldn’t be happening, see if it happens on the livecd of whatever distro you try.

1 Like

Thanks for the all replies.

I just want to say that the reason I am not considering stock Ubuntu is because I am wary of Amazon’s involvment with the Canonical.

My take away is that I should try another Ubuntu derivative. I do not know why ethernet does not work with my laptop. Maybe it’s a problem with the port?

have a look at manjaro. I have been running it for a year now and have had basically 0 issues. The ones i have had have been easy to fix.
Vega64 was plug and play. Only issue i have had with steamplay is with gtaV and corefonts not wanting to work but i didnt really look into it.

Kde plazma is a gre DE and updates are simple.

While you are right to be wary of the Amazon deal, it is opt-in these days, if it’s even still around. If you do not like it, do not use it, simple as that.

Ubuntu does collect a few things about your machine and sends upstream though as an opt-out. These are pretty harmless system statistics (for the most part), more specifically:

• Ubuntu version
  • OEM/Manufacturer
  • Device model number
  • BIOS info
  • CPU details
  • GPU details
  • Installed RAM
  • Partition Info
  • Display(s) details
  • Auto-login status
  • Live Patching status
  • Desktop environment
  • Display server
  • Timezone

Of these, the items in Italics may reveal more information about you as a person than perhaps you are comfortable with, and the items in bold may help a nefarious hacker to hack your PC. You decide what information you are comfortable with exposing, of course. I do personally think it’s better to run Ubuntu over one of it’s many forks, but use what you feel most comfortable with. :slight_smile:

As for the Ethernet port not working, it’s really hard to give a proper diagnostic blind. Please post a second thread where you explain the symptoms. I do happen to know of an excellent tutorial on how to debug hardware, I recommend as a first step to post the logs of the system commands dmesg and lspci -vvv from terminal.

2 Likes

I second the recommendation of Kubuntu for your use case. Steam and steam proton will work the best out of the box on Ubuntu, and you get the benefit of the graphics-drivers ppa’s that will make getting the required drivers and libraries as simple as two or three commands in the terminal.

I have dabbled a bit with KDE Plasma, and it is a very solid and smooth experience. I personally prefer Gnome because it fits my way of interacting with my desktop better, and I find a lot of KDE apps and systems to be overly complicated, though they are a lot more feature rich than most Gnome systems are out of the box. But the out of the box experience for KDE is very similar to the traditional windows desktop so you will probably feel right at home with it.

1 Like

yes I have and was playing games to test out steam beta, which is basically a wine wrapper for some games, others like CIV 6 run natively on linux, all in all I can’t complain much