I'm hoping to finally participate in Devember

Hello, I’ve come and gone to the forum and following Wendel since 2013. On some lost accounts commented here and there on Devember stuff and always had some real fomo. I spent most of my time in school learning electrical engineering and mostly self taught software dev. For the past 3 years I have been working really hard on a collection of .NET/6 and some small C libraries, that when put together make up a comprehensive HTTP and Web server framework.

Because no one wants to hear about experimental frameworks until they are done and even after about 3 years it’s still pretty far from release. But I can build full stack apps pretty quickly now and that makes me feel more comfortable. One of the toughest parts, is that its difficult to explain what the libraries are all capable of and why I’m building them. The project was born from wanting a tiny/simple HTTP server to access a LoRa via an AVR micro, over USB to an x86 machine. With that idea in mind I continued to build Web framework libraries that utilize the HTTP library. Then I wanted a portable server application, and a dynamic plugin framework was born.

I am posting, because most of my larger projects are nearly stable and I want to make some free time to participate this year but need help deciding what I want to build with my libraries that I can actually complete in a few weeks. And it seems like the spirit of Devember is fully working applications, so it’s a bit tricky for me.

Since the server app itself is standalone, I only need to build .NET class libraries to implement the logic of a single app. Security, auth, users, sessions, cache, databases, etc are all handled by other plugins (that I already built).

Here are some existing example apps that are fully or partially released

• CMNext - (fully released) A self hosted, full stack admin app that turns your S3 or FTP into a headless CMS
  • NVault - (not ready for release) Self-hosted nostr credential store with Hashicorp Vault and NIP-07 extension.
  • PKIAuthenticator - (fully released) an OTP generator for use with my PKI auth plugin that uses hardware/software keys
  • Auth0 Server & Client Lib - (stable but not tagged) Adds Auth0 user authentication for full-stack apps

Ideas (in scope) I want to work on

• Finish NVault (hit a snag with an external JS library so it’s been on hold)
  • Another file sharing/sync plugin for Obsidian (I love using and building plugins for Obsidian) that uses libsecp256k1(I have more experience) or libsodium for PKE E2E, that can create shared “folders” for which files can be added in the ui and shared with other users via a public key/folder key.
  • Get back into a lower level project to embed HTTP into and get a real world feel for the low level http API again.
  • A non-http app that utilizes my plugin runtime to refine the API.( I have some in mind)
  • Minecraft server web authentication/whitelist mod maybe with some controls

Ideas out of scope to work on my C & electrical skills

• I picked up an FTDI 4232H module (DOA :frowning:) and want to design an expansion PCB for it, and a channel based utility packed C API and library. I want to use its multiple channels for GPIO and bench testing via a PC at the same time. Multiple processes should be able to load the library and control a single I/O channel.
  • Design a modern Ford EEC-IV/V ROM emulator and toolset… wait. Too much.

All of my modules/projects are open source and most GPL licensed, and focus on simple self-hosting first. I feel I should caution some folks: my intent with these projects is not to become a good traditional “software developer”. My background was electrical and automotive, alongside some operating systems and embedded. I have been on a very nontraditional path I’m just having fun and learning.

Thanks ahead of time and if you have any recommendations please share them!