If you could ask AMD anything about next gen am5 stuff, what would it be?

If you could ask AMD anything about next gen am5 stuff, what would it be?

Yes, seems like we’re getting 3d cache at some point they kinda already disclosed that.

I’m sure we’ll see a zen4 threadripper at some point too.

What else?

I’m thinking I’ll compile a list and send questions check whenever they do their live event. No doubt a lot of obvious questions will be answered then.

One thing I plan to ask is

Yay am5, but when is am4 going to be sunset? How long do you expect to see chips on the market that work in the am4 boards people have now?

1 Like

Just how many generations with this platform support ?

Of course that is a pretty open question, not sure that AMD wanted to support the AM4 platform for that long but there you go.

1 Like

I want to ask them what their roadmap is for the chipsets and AGESA. I don’t want to relive the touch-and-go support bracket nightmare that was X370 to X470. Do they intend to enforce a minimum specification in terms of EEPROM size? Do they intend to carry forward support on all generations at all times? Or are we going to live with the same pitfalls of AM4 (until recently) where first gen supported only half the chips, middle gen supported all the chips, and last gen supported the other half of the chips.

Basically I want to know if they have a plan in place to ensure that support will be seamless.

Oh and on that same track, it would be nice to hear what they have planned to avoid the DRAM support problems of AM4. Though I recognize they mostly resolved those, again, I do not want to go through having to deduce which variation of a single DRAM bin is the best for the platform to perform at expected levels. Do they have an automated tuning system built into the IMC or IF that can handle slight differences in manufacturer timings without coming to a crashing halt? Similarly, are we going to see something like the old DDR1 boards where there’s a “compatibility mode” that limits to JEDEC timings and allows mixed-die or high density DRAM setups to operate smoothly?

3 Likes

“Will AM5 be as long-lived as AM4?”

“Will AM5 have 32MB EEPROMs across the board?”

“Chipset fans are a mistake of the past?”

“RDNA2+ APUs with performance equivalent to entry-level dGPUs?”

“Will AMD be bundling complementary nuclear reactors with their products going forward, or can we hope to see some low energy products? (inb4 Marketing hijacks: high efficiency (aka perf/watt) != low energy.) Most CPUs are now far, far more powerful than ordinary folk actually need, and the world is already in a deepening energy crisis. Reducing power draw at the wall plug would help.”

“Full ECC RAM support?”

1 Like

Status about official ECC support now that Intel supports it on consumer CPUs via W680/W790 chipsets
AVX-512 support although that seems to have been somewhat confirmed as far as I can tell.

1 Like

AMD mentioned AM4 will continue to co-exist with AM5 for “a long time.” My question is kinda included but please help me to make it specific.

“Will Zen4 be released on AM4 in some form?”

“If so, around what time frame”

“Will it be up to 16 cores or only in low-end SKUs”

1 Like

Biggest thing:

Have they made improvements to the memory subsystem latencies to a degree that memory transactions between single CCD, the I/O die and the memory have been dramatically reduced?

Also, are there CCX changes to increase L3 cache for monolithic APU dies? and will they still be one PCI-E generation behind the full desktop parts?

3 Likes

Support for PCIe Gen5 is nice and all, but is there a way to get twice the number of lanes in PCIe Gen4?

5 Likes

Intel are talking up 7nm, just how far are they behind really?

Will there be Ryzen 3 class SKUs available to DIYers? (think cheaper, lower power, home server!)

3 Likes

More pcie lane options is all I ever want

6 Likes

The two things I’m most interested in are more PCIe lanes, and ECC ram support (and I don’t mean DDR5’s “kinda but not really” within chip stuff), and I expect both of those to be the same as previous gen.

We wouldn’t really need more lanes, if various cards that were previously 4x PCIe3 became 2x PCIe4 or 1x PCIe5, but we just aren’t there in the market yet. 7 years of PCIe3 has a lot of inertia to overcome.

And ECC ram… there’s literally no good excuse not to have data verifiable (and better yet, correctable) at all levels, from one end to the other. I don’t need enterprise server validation, just casual “it’s there, but we make no other promises” sort of thing like they do with literally every other feature anyways. Then again I’m the sort of guy that things filesystems without checksums are obsolete outside of being used inside virtual machines.

I suppose the only other thing I’d be interested in is AMD’s plans on continued improvements to virtualization acceleration technologies and support, which is mostly a GPU thing, but they might have something cool with new CPU instructions or something.

3 Likes

AMD could use the unused “Ryzen 1” name for a line of products optimised for server/sensor/automation-type operations, where extremely low power consumption is the primary focus. That would allow the processors to power passively-cooled mITX (and smaller) systems.

Any plans to do a high end APU for pc? As in similar or higher CU count to the ps5 or Xbox?

Current PC APU efforts seem to be aimed at the budget market and I think Apple has shown there’s a market for higher end and higher performance integrated solutions especially in the mobile space.

I’m thinking gaming or workstation laptop type machine combining 8 zen cores and 20+ Navi 3 CUs (plus some infinity cache).

The steam deck has shown promise but it’s a much smaller form factor and not quite there in terms of performance (great for a portable but it’s not a desktop replacement). Still seems like a half measure to me.

2 Likes

With each generation of Ryzen, we have seen improvements to boosting tech like XFR 1 to 2 and PBO 1 to 2
What will the improvement to the Curve Optimizer look like on AM5?

I would personally like to see completely customizable curves, like the ability to change the voltage per multipliers

not AM5
but I think the curve optimizer would be an excellent killer feature mobile parts, please make negative offsets a standard feature on all future chips regardless of chipset since negative offsets won’t require additional VRM beefiness

imagine being able to tune your laptop or steam deck to use less voltage for either cooler/longer operation, or increased performance for same wattage

1 Like

will we see APUs with a dedicated GPU die? What about 3D cache APUs, surely they’d benefit

I’d think with DDR5 speeds and large 3D cache could be a great match for a APU with a 6500XT level GPU chiplet

1 Like

Will it actually be in stock and if so not price gouged?

If not hard pass.

1 Like

will the link between CPU and chipset be 5.0? a creative solution from mobo manufacturers was to use the chipset as a multiplexer to turn the 4.0 chipset lanes into twice as many lanes 3.0 lanes

5 Likes

AMD’s mature chiplet design presses seem very conducive to a little/big design intel has been experimenting with on 12th and 13th gen

will we see little big on am5?

1 Like

Will we see return of low cost dual and quad cores in the athlon/R3 line?

1 Like