If we got an old RV, would you watch us turn it into the Qain Train

That is super inefficient... What crappy software are you using? If you know the longitude then you can calculate the Y and if you know your heading you can calculate the rotation.

Yes I would watch this so hard.

That would be magnificent, really. There are a lot of cool things you could do with this idea.

just posting this hear for inspiration :D

4 Likes

We have been looking at buses all over the fucking place since he posted LOL

I assume this mother ship would also have...

1000' reel of cat6 mounted on the side to steal neighbor's internet at night.

1 Like

Even Bill Murray likes those old GMC RV's.

Then there is this. Room for 4 and all you need is a big ass generator that rubs on the back tire.

http://www.widepathcamper.com/

I'm sure @Designdemon could help you with some interior designs like she did for @wendell's office
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/office-ideas/

1 Like

It's me from YT comments section.
Lead batteries are heavy but there are lighter alternatives.

The best part about RVs is they are small so you can do ALOT on a small budget! Its all about creative space planning to fit everything you want inside!

1 Like

Hey there. I see a lot of people using reclaimed lithium-ion batteries from laptops but if they don't manage the charging and temperature properly the result is smoke and fire. I don't recommend anyone go down that path unless they study the issues. I'm looking at making smart battery packs with 26650 and 18650 cells.

haha that sounds scary!!
18650s are fine and I've seen them firsthand/spoken with EV converters.
Just need to wire in fuses to prevent the fire/smoke - if there's thermal issues the design has to be improper/inappropriate.
The basic way of setting up an 18650 pack/array is to have as many cells necessary to distribute the load to a very small amount draw per cell, so the batteries aren't being worked hard at all - the less work the more cycles they last.
From there add more batteries to increase range.

That's the crappy formula I was taught by a clever guy.

Just playing around with some RV interior planning. I found the floor plans of the GMC RV and a slideshow of a frame off restoration. Very interesting. Because of the front drive layout the floor is low and flat with plenty of room for (tesla?) batteries.

My plan. I removed the sink and stove on the left and replaced them with an under-countertop "server rack." I left the bath and fridge on the right (It wouldn't be a TEK mothership w/o beer!). I was thinking "Wet side" with plumbing and "Tek side" with wiring. That way y'all only have to rip out / renovate half the truck. I envisioned the dinette as a public meeting space with a big screen HTPC. I'm not sure about the safety of having a screen right behind the driver though, I'd like to see it in a plexiglass box. In the back is a workspace with a bit of privacy.

Raw plan from GMC. For better artists like @Designdemon to play with.

http://www.gmcclassics.com/tech/larthur/index.html

Frame off restoration slide show. I also read about one guy that converted the engine to fuel injection using junkyard parts.
He said the wiring was hard but the update was worth it.

1 Like

That would be really cool. I would love to see it.

In most cases I agree with your approach. With a vehicle there are too many things that can go wrong because of the special environment. Check out this video of a guy who used the cautious design approach:

Skip to 4:40 if you don't want to watch the whole thing. There are other videos if you want to see how he made it.

Um ok, cool I guess

a tektonka monster truck would be doper than herion

They couldn't do an office. A motor home would just be irresponsible parenting.

1 Like

Really don't see this happening with the PDX crew

I really don't see the point of reviving this thread, Qain is gone now and this project was all him. IMO it should be locked.

4 Likes