If I swith to linux with a nvidia card what do I need to know about the drivers

I hnave a gtx 770 what do I need to know about before I swith to linux and any good linux versions that are like windows perfiribly windows 7.

if you use mint, you will need to install the drivers from TTY1. i think thats what its called anyway. and you will also need to stop the X server. on mint, its mdm so “sudo service mdm stop” enter password, done. then “cd Downloads” assuming you are 1) in your home directory. 2) the driver script is in the Downloads directory. from there its “sudo ./” follow instructions, then reboot system. should be fine.

thank you for your help on this I am going to switch to linx sone and I need to be able to get every thing working so this will make swithing alot simpler.

to get to TTY1 or whatever it is, the keyboard shortcut is “Alt+Ctrl+F1”

Hello there, I have a gtx 770 and I use linux mint 17.1 with cinnamon, ui is very similar to windows 7. To install the driver, it is much easier than command line stuff. All you need to do is go to System Settings > Driver Manager, then select the driver from the list (it should have the open source nouveau driver, and the more recent proprietary nvidia drivers). just select the proprietey one, click apply changes, the scren may flicker as the x server is restarted automatically, and then you are off. on previous versions, I had to do the command line way, had to do it a few times to get it right, but the newer versions make it real easy

3 Likes

The only thing there is to “know” about nVidia drivers is that the open source drivers (nouveau), which are enabled by default, do not provide very good performance, but provide great stability and safety. The proprietary drivers (basically the Windows drivers ported to Linux) are not safe because they are not open source and require binary blobs to be compiled into the Linux kernel of your machine. You cannot see these binary blobs, you cannot know what they do, and whether or not they contain spyware and/or malware. Usually, as long as you don’t use rolling release bleeding edge distros, proprietary nVidia drivers work pretty well on linux. If you want the modern functionality and performance of a recent linux kernel, I can only advise you to stick with the open source drivers, because you’ll have to compile and debug your proprietary kernel modules with every kernel update, which is once or twice a week, and that’s just a huge burden. Not saying it’s not possible, I’ve done that for years myself, just saying that it’s a drag, and that you’ll have a lot of breakage and debugging to do on a weekly basis.

1 Like