IcyDock MB508SP-B 8x2.5" SSD Enclosure -- Questions for 3U Home Server

I’m looking at buying one of these for a 3U home server, to take 8 2.5" SAS2 Enterprise SSDs: IcyDock MB508SP-B – MB508SP-B_ToughArmor Series_REMOVABLE 2.5" SSD / HDD ENCLOSURES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure

I’ve got a pair of ancient 4-bay IcyDocks doing the job right now, but they run off MOLEX power and have decrepit, screaming fans that I hate. I want something easier to power, and quieter (or at least lower pitched). I also like the idea of a single, large unit, instead of 2x4 bay units.

I’d be using the enclosure with an LSI 9207-8i that I know works well with my 4-bay ToughArmors.

A couple of questions:

1. Is this actually the model I want for 8x2.5" enterprise SSDs? Their product range is a bit confusing, to be honest.
  2. I think since they’re SSDs, with fairly powerful intake fans on the 3U case, I can get away with setting the fans to low?
  3. If not, and the fan noise is distracting when in the same room with it, does anyone have any experience with putting a Noctua aftermarket fan on? Is it hard to do?
  4. My chassis is a Supermicro SC-835 (this might not be the exact variant): SC835TQC-R802B | 3U | Chassis | Products | Supermicro . I’m assuming I’d be able to mount a single unit that spans both 5.25" bays. But I’m not sure; has anyone actually done this with any 2x5.25 unit?

Thanks!

What do you mean by that ? Ther is Sata / SAS and NVME enterprise drives. You mention SAS drives so I assume you mean that. Whats the height of the drives?

Flash likes warm temps the controller does not, you can just look at logs to see if its fine temp wise on the controller.

Should 99.99% chance

I have 16 of these enterprise 2.5" SAS2 SSDs from HGST: HGST UltraStar SSD1600MM 1.6TB SAS 12Gb/s 2.5-inch MLC Enterprise Solid State Drive/SSDs-HUSMM1616ASS200

Here’s the datasheet: https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/western-digital/product/data-center-drives/ultrastar-sas-series/data-sheet-ultrastar-ssd1600mm.pdf

They’re 15mm.

I’m aware of the differences in preferred temps between flash and controller ICs; it’s annoying. :stuck_out_tongue: As it is, I just look at whatever temperature smartctl reports, and make sure it’s not getting near 70 C.

Where should I be aiming for as far as idle temperature?

you want the flash hot and the chipset not throttling, I probably wouldnt worry for home server at all

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.