IceGiant Pro Syphon Elite CPU Cooler

So anybody have any thoughts and/or experience with this CPU cooler ?

I does look pretty massive and comes with 4 fans.

it does better with a big IHS and multiple dies, on thread ripper it sings but you can’t use it on WR80 unless you rotate the case by 90 degrees or have the board in horizontal position like on a test bench
it won’t get a 7950X below 95C because the heat is too concentrated

Well wasn’t sure if it has an optimum cooling CPU or not but looks like it would indeed be the Threadripper CPU’s.

So if you were going with a 7950x then even one of the Noctua D15 Coolers should be fine for stock usage ?

ice giant will deffinetly perform better than the D15, its just there isn’t an air cooler on the market that could keep it under 95C

you need to set your own power limits, temp limits, Curve optimizer settings and Ect to get the temp and perf you are comfortable with

Thanks for the feedback, it’s possible I may end up getting both coolers to see how the compare, but not sure yet.

I wonder how the IceGiant would work with a delided 7950x. At first this seemed like a great idea, but pretty much right away I realised that it probably won’t keep up due to the density of the heat, and also because of the way it’s mounted it would probably destroy the naked die.

My 2 cents… I think the IceGiant Prosiphon’s Achillies Heel is the aluminum heat transfer plate. This shows with intense small-area heat sources where it cannot extract the heat compared to copper plate coolers using common heat pipes. With intense data I/O (like when using PrimoCache with 100GB of disk caching) the Prosiphon can’t keep the central I/O die of a 3990x cooled. Threadrippers throttle based on chiplet temps, not the central I/O die temps. I’ve had a 3990x fry itself (long story) and is now a $6K coaster. I would not expect the Prosiphon to work well with any delided CPU. Not until they come out with a copper heat plate version.

1 Like

Well yeah, but there’s supposed to be a new version with the copper plate.

The Amazon specs page isn’t stating that the cold plate is copper or not.

The standard one is aluminum they haven’t released the copper one yet

That’s what the delid retention bracket is for

(post deleted by author)

Even with the delid retention bracket the dies are sitting a little bit proud of it, which is as intended and fine if you’re using a water cooling block, but IceGiant is heavy af, so my thinking is that it might crush a corner anyway.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.