IBM V7000 Expansion Enclosure as a generic disk shelf

TL;DR: can an IBM Storwize V7000 Expansion Enclosure (e.g. 2076-212, 2076-224) with a 85Y5850 controller be used as a disk shelf connected to an HP SmartArray P822 controller via its external connectors? (SFF-8088)

Long version:
I have a (quite janky) homelab server using an HP SmartArray P822 as SAS/SATA contoller (in HBA mode). For now, I’ve only been using the internal ports with SFF-8087-to-SATA cables and SATA drives. I chose the P822 because:
a) it was cheap;
b) it had both external and internal ports;
c) I already had some familiarity with P420 and (so far) had no problems with it.
Anyway, since the server is using a rather janky case (with a significant amount of DIYing and modding) it is already packed nearly full with 2.5" drives in 3D printed mounts and I’m looking for an external disk shelf to expand my storage options.

I was looking through local e-waste recyclers and found good deals on a few options. I shall add that I’m looking for LFF shelves as I have enough room for SFF drives in the main case. I also noticed that NetApp DS4246 is quite frequently talked about on the forum, but it seems to be so popular that none of the local recyclers have them available :wink:
(by the time I finished writing this post I actually found one that has it for ~$300 without trays/covers).

Currently on my watchlist are: (listing local prices w/ tax and +/- shipping, converted to USD)

• IBM Storwize V7000 Expansion Enclosure with dual 85Y5850 (<$100 with trays)
  • HPE MSA20 (~$200 with trays) which turns out to be so ancient it only supports SATA 1
  • NetApp FAS2020 (<$100 with trays) doesn’t seem to be fit directly, but I pondered if it’s maybe possible to somehow hack into the backplane here, or perhaps just use it as an iSCSI ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SuperMicro CSE-846 (from ~$350 to ~$400, but without trays) could even replace the janky case, although I’d have to check if the current cooling solution fits. Anyway, I believe I could even repurpose the front backplane and get some SFF-8088 to SFF-8087 cables to use it as a disk shelf (the backplane seems to be simply powered via 4-pin “Molex”.
  • SuperMicro CSE-829 (~$400 with trays) can’t replace current case because I need full height slots, but the backplane hacking still stands

Anyway, from that list, the IBM Storwize appears to be (I’m not saying it is) a good value proposition, but there still is the (potential) issue of compatibility. So if someone has any experience with that line, I’d appreciate it. Other input, even highly critical, is welcome as well :wink: .

Update: In the end I went with SuperMicro CSE-846 (SC-846?) for the 3.5" shelf solution. I’ll probably migrate the current setup in the coming weeks, maybe with a small blog on it. I plan to completely redo the software side, so that may be a bit interesting to someone :slight_smile:.