I want to run a Linux distro with two Windows 10 viritual machines. Some questions

I want to run a Linux distrubution with two Windows 10 viritual machines, but I don’t know what Linux distro to use and what software to use.
The Linux host system need to be secure and maybe hardened.

This is my hardware for the setup:
AMD 5900x 12core
Nvidia 1080Ti
64GB Ram
8 SATA harddrives + 2 M.2 harddrives

1 m.2 for the Linux setup and the two Windows 10 viritual machines will have their own partition on the second m.2 drive.
All SATA drives are for data storage.

I would prefer if the Linux system could be encrypted with LUKS and the two W10 machines would have their systemdrives encrypted with Veracrypt if possible.

7 of the SATA drives are encrypted with Veracrypt and the two Windows VM’s need to be able to use them, but not at the same time.

Is it possible to run all these 3 systems on one graphics card? Switching them seamlessly?
I probably wish for too much but… One of the windows machines need to have some kind of GPU passthrough to make gaming possible and also cryptomining. Probably impossible but I wish :smiley:
Would it be a lot easier if I bought a 2nd GPU? Is there any particular GPU that works good with Linux? AMD/NVidia?

I cannot run too much software on the Linux system, it needs to be secure.
The whole reason I want to run 2 windows in separate VM is for security sake. Last security breach was hell to deal with.
One VM is for my banking and finances only.
The 2nd VM is for everyday use, gaming, web and such.

I need to be able to take backups of my whole VM so I can rollback quick if anything happens to it.

I need to run all traffic from one Windows VM through my VPN server, can I tunnel all traffic from the VM with my Linux host to make sure nothing leaves outside of VPN tunnel or should I do it from inside the VM?

Yes.

Absolutely not.

Secure is a relative term. QubesOS is a distribution that tries to focus on security by default, but again, you have to define what your security requirements are and nothing is going to tick all of your security boxes right out the gate.

Also, it sound like you are very new to the GNU/Linux word. Break down your needs into achievable goals first. Learn how to use a Unix-like OS first. Then learn how to secure it. Then learn how to setup VMs. Then learn how to do hardware passthrough (and get another GPU to save your a headache). Then start adding the additional networking requirements.

If you try to do everything all at once, you are going to set yourself up for a lot of frustration. Learn to drive A car, before jumping right in to be an F1 driver.

2 Likes