I want to move from Intel to AMD but what MOBO,CPU and RAM do I need to choose?

Yeah it should be a great board.
Decent vrm implementation as well, 12+2 true phase design,
since Gigabyte is using a new 16 phase infineon (IR) pwm controller.
and they use some decent IR3556 50A powerstages as well.
So yeah in that regards the vrm should be very efficient.
Even for a 3950X / 3900X.
It also packs a decent set of features.
And with the discounts you get, it will be a good deal.

I would really love to tinker with that new 16 phase infineon XDPE132G5C pwm.
But unfortunately the only two boards that feature it,
are out of my price range haha. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes Yes, delivery confirmed, tomorrow my new hardware will arrive.
Can’t wait, luckely I have 2 days off starting tomorrow, so I have the rest of the week to build my new system.
Update will follow soon.

Greetings.

4 Likes

I have a feeling that you will enjoy it.

1 Like

Do you know how I can add some pictures to this post?

Many thanks in advance.

Greetings.

You should just be able to drag-and-drop them.

1 Like

Here they are…starting my build now.

3 Likes

Nice looks good. :wink:

1 Like

Hi,

During setup I ran in to my first problems, the mobo won’t boot with my RAM.
Not with 4 sticks, 2 sticks or 1 stick.
So I went to my local computershop and asked if I could test some other RAM before I buy it.
This was not an issue, I selected specifically RAM that was on the QVL list.
I choose, this was the only QVL RAM that was available at the shop, 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666Mhz.
With this RAM my system booted up fine.

Second issue, after the RAM finally worked I ran into another problem.
According to Gigabyte I can run a PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD from slot M2_A.
Geuss not because my SSD is not detected.
When I use the same PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD in slot M2_B it is detected.
Am I doing something wrong or does the M2_A slot only supports PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD?

Greetings.

There should be no problem in regards to NVMe. Link speed is negotiated at start and should become PCIe 3.0 for the NVMe SSD. IIRC Wendell mentioned that he needed to reseat components for x570 to get them to work.

But it will not be bottlenecked even in the m.2 from chipset. And it will leave the directly CPU one free for possible PCIe 4.0 NVMe in future. That one could max the connection between chipset and CPU as it is x4 PCIe 4.0, if you can find a workload that would max it that is. Maybe some video or photo editing can do that?

2 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

My RAM did not work at all, no matter what I tried my system would not boot, I could not get in to the BIOS as well.
And troubleshooting this was not easy, finally I could make some sense out of the several “error codes” on the board display and found out that my RAM was not compatible with this board for some strange reason.
It is no “bling bling” RAM, just simple 4x 8GB MICRON DDR4-2400Mhz.
No matter what I did, 4 sticks, 2 sticks even 1 stick the system would not boot.
Thank God my local shop had some QVL RAM available.
After installing the Corsair DDR4-2666Mhz 2 x16GB Vengeance the system booted up and I could get into the BIOS.

But then this NVMe issue, I installed the NVMe drive several times and suddenly it got detected.
6 times I had to reseat the NVMe drive before it got detected…
Then I could not install Windows, I had to remove all the other drives because I got that 0X80300024 error that drove me nuts.

Finally I have my system up and running, not a good start with my new AMD system.

Last but not least, I have to get used to this Gigabyte Bios, I’m used to MSI BIOS.
Overclocking Ryzen is new for me, Intel was easy.

Greetings.

You may have to go into the bios and set the PCIe to Gen 3, Samsung drives especially have been reported to be particularly finicky about that. My WD black did not complain. The setting is under the miscellaneous section.

I think its an AGESA issue with PCIe 4.0 auto detection. Its been reported on different boards and from different vendors.

There is something amiss with the PCIe auto detection. The issue I am experiencing is with a RX 5700 XT. If I leave the PCIe setting at auto or force Gen 4 I regularly boot to a black screen, but the system appears to be running - drive lights flickering - keyboard responds etc. I get a <02> on the LED digital readout and the VGA LED debug light stays lit. It takes me several resets or crt-alt-del and sometimes even a power cycle to get the GPU to initialize. However, if I set PCIe to force gen 3 everything boots nice n spiffy and if set back to auto the symptoms re-appear. I don’t care personally about the the GPU being set to gen 3 even though its 4.0 capable because there is no performance gain - the 5700 series Navi cards can’t even saturate PCIe 3.0. But what Does irk me a tad is that my PCIe 4 nvme is also gimped to gen3, if I force gen 3 to work around the VGA initialize problem, and there is a noticeable performance diff (at least in bench marks , ha) Again this is not only on the Gigabyte brand - leading me to suspect issues in general with PCIe speed detection.

Sorry to hear about your rams and other frustrations but glad you got them sorted.

Oh - if you are on the original bios - you will want to update to F5l - many fixes and seems pretty decent for now.

1 Like

Yup this is the first thing i would try as well.

My PCIe 3.0 NVMe drives are detected now, not with adjusting the setting in to the BIOS but by reseating the drives several times and boot up.
Now there is no issue anymore and they are detected what you can find inside the BIOS.
Everything is stable now, with some very bad luck with my RAM, but that got fixed with me bying new QVL RAM and it worked perfectly.

Greetings.

1 Like

Ah good.

Yeah sometimes bios and detecting stuff can be a bit wonky. :slight_smile:

Goed bezig :wink:

Inderdaad goed bezig ja :slight_smile:

1 Like

With all the issues I had with this move to AMD, can I say it was worth it? Yes is was.
I like my new board, looks great. ( Missing Thunderbolt no deal breaker for me).
The only thing that had me going for while were these setup issues wich I never had with an Intel board and CPU.
Don’t tell me why but every Intel setup I owned went very smooth, even overclocking.
Was I lucky, maybe, but that said this move with all the hickups was still worth it.
Now I can focus on overclocking this new CPU.
AMD is new for me but besides the setup issues it did not disapoint me when I got it finally running.
I even tested this board and CPU with my AutoCad Software and it performs perfectly, absolutely perfect.
I have one little issue with the RX5700XT and my professional card, the Radeon Pro WX7100 both present in my system, for both cards I use different drivers, for the 5700XT the adrenaline version and for my Pro card the Pro driver version.
This issue I have is driver and CAD Software related and AMD is assisting me already with this.
So that will get fixed very soon, some tweaking of Autocad and drivers will fix this.

What I allready know is that this 3700X kills my i7-8700K setup when it comes to multi threat perfomance.
i7-8700 K stable at 5Ghz gave me a CPU-Z score arround 4482.
My new AMD Ryzen 3700X does this without overclocking at a score of 5504…! Wow.
I can’t wait to get in to overclocking my Ryzen.
I’m happy, I’m very happy.

I want to thank you all for your help, input and advice.

Greetings.

3 Likes

I disagree, because he is coming from a 8700k. 8700k to a 3600/x is not much of an upgrade. The two additional cores seems like more of an upgrade.

Congrats on your build!

1 Like

Almost a month ago I switched form Intel to AMD. I choose the Gigabyte X570 Aurus Master motherboard, Ryzen 3700X CPU and the new RX 5700 XT from Gigabyte as my new video card. Where should I begin…! The transition was not smooth and I had some very stubborn hiccups and issues that where resolved after intensively troubleshooting. But the troubles did not end there! When the initial issues that presented themselves at install got resolved I ran into other troubles and very annoying issues. Several BSOD because of very strange things. It got even that bad that I could not restore my Windows 10 anymore and had to re-install the OS completely. I almost had a Hot Line email support with Gigabyte and they responded very fast on all of my support requests. A small overview of the issues : Using RGB Fusion, even starting the application resulted in a BSOD. For some reason after every Windows 10 update the AMD Chipset drivers got corrupted and needed to be re-installed. Watching YouTube videos became a problem, not all the time but using AutoPlay and after watching 5 videos, when the sixth video started a BSOD. All the BSOD had similar error codes. Using Ryzen Master resulted in several BSOD crashes, without doing anything. Even very strange motherboard debug led codes as soon as I started Ryzen Master. Then I ran into problems when I played games, games would freeze out of nothing. Then my motherboard started to act strange. Out of the blue my bios settings got restored to default settings several times. I send so many log files to Gigabyte support that the support site complained that I had sent to many files. Gigabyte support had me test almost everything in my system. From intensively RAM tests, Video card stress tests and even CPU stress tests. Everything hardware wise seem to be okay. The last support agent was going to ask for a complete change of all my Gigabyte hardware. Until the clearance was granted I re-installed Windows 10 eight times already, mostly advised by Gigabyte. Nothing seemed to be a solution for all of my problems. Before I got the message that Gigabyte was planning to change all of my Gigabyte hardware something else happened. There was a new driver update…the new AMD Adrenaline driver came out, version 19.9.1. Until now all the issues are resolved for some reason. No BSOD anymore, no YouTube issues or what ever. The list of issues I mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg but for some strange reason the latest AMD Adrenaline driver update solved all of my issues out of the blue! The transition from Intel to AMD did not wend smooth, the aftermath was even more problematic. I hope that all the issues are resolved now for good. I keep my fingers crossed. If the issues persist I have to take in to consideration to move back to Intel. Because this unstable situation is starting to effect my productivity. With Intel I never had any issues like this. But I give AMD another change and I hope my system runs stable now. If this AMD driver update did indeed solve all my issues then thats okay. If the issues persist I have to switch back to Intel I’m afraid.

1 Like

NOT ASROCK. If something goes wrong they will turn their backs on you.

I finally got my refund but from Amazon, which actually owed me nothing at that point. Very impressed with Amazon. ASROCK? Not so much.

Am running MSI Gaming Pro Carbon right now for my 2950X and I’m very happy with it.