I want to move from Intel to AMD but what MOBO,CPU and RAM do I need to choose?

This is why I use this Forum instead of all the well know YT channels.
They blow you away with information you don’t need, then you have specific people who tell something different then the other channel and this conflicting information makes you doubt everything again.
This is why I use this Forum, they never let me down on any question I have.
Even Level 1 tech YT channel is the only channel to go to, Wendel explains eveything so perfectly and to the point.
Even more important, when he explains something you can depend on it.

I will check this Elite board this evening and as I said before.
As soon as I have my new hardware I will post an update here to tell you how it went down.

Many thanks again.

2 Likes

Also, play with overclocking the infinity fabric. Linus did a recent video where he tested RAM speeds on Ryzen 3000. With overclocking the Fabric to 1900, he was able to get similar performance from 2133 RAM to 3600 RAM. Your 2400 should just be fine, and you might not even loose performance. That’s what i’ll try when my 3600 gets here.

1 Like

Interesting video.
Still I don’t understand why all channels always said, Ryzen Loves, with capital L, fast RAM and is absolutely preferred over low speed RAM.
This test Linus did shows that this isn’t true or am I wrong?

Many thanks for your response.

It’s a question of perspective. All his test have shown, that faster RAM does indeed provide a performance benefit out of the box. BUT:

1. The performance improvement is really, really small.
  2. With overclocking other parts of your system, you can make up for slower RAM.

Ryzen 3000 is much less picky compare to previous Ryzens when it comes to RAM. The really fast stuff is just for those that need the last 2% of performance.

1 Like

This is why this is so cunfusing all the time.
But for now, I will use my 32GB RAM is Have allready.
The only thing I will deside this evening is the board, the Elite or the Master.
That dicission I will make this evening.
I can always buy other RAM when needed.

I hope that this Ryzen 3700X will perfom as good as everybody says.
I never used an AMD CPU before, only INTEL, AMD video cards I used before and still use them.
So for me it will be a new journey in AMD CPU expierence and I will find out if it will dissapoint me or not.

Greetings.

I find it hard to argue with this:

Maybe a 3600 instead of the 3700X, your ram and storage is fine

1 Like

This also kinda depends on which particular X570 board you get.
Asrock is using t- topology for memory,
and most other brands use Daisy chain memory topology.

In Theory: Board that use T-topology generally should work better with overclocking 4 dimms.
On which Daisychain should be better at overclocking 2 dimms.
But that kinda is a ¨theory¨ in practice its all a matter of luck.

I would just trow the memory in you got right now and call it a day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your response,

I only going to buy a new mobo and a CPU, the rest I have allready.
Besides the RAM mentioned in the build link you send I use my RAM.
So we will see what my new build will bring me.
I’m looking forward to it and I will update this post as soon as I have my new hardware en set it up.

Greetings.

If it was not for this Forum I would have bought new RAM right away.
I’m going for the Master or Elite and will use in the beginning all 4 sticks of my RAM. We will see what it will bring me.

Greetings.

Well there is of course a significant difference between those two particular boards.
The Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master is a step up in terms of connectivity features.,
and of course a better vrm then the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite.
But of course that is also the reason for the significant price gab.

Depending on the cpu you got in mind, and eventual upgrade planś in that regards.
For your typical workloads and expending options in terms of m.2 nvme ssd’s,
it might be worth it to go for the a $300,- + boards indeed.

The Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite at $210,- ish is a very decent board,
with a good vrm as well.
But a little bit limited in terms of connectivity.
But yeah this is mainly a personal thing and thinking a little bit ahead in time.

I’m not sure what the current price of the Gigabyte X570 Aorus master is atm.
But if it’s more then $400,- then i’m personally not really sure if it would really,
be worth it for a mainstream platform really.
In my honnest opinion people shouldn’t really spend more then $400,- on a mainstream motherboard really.
Because then you can verywell just go with a HEDT platform like Threadripper.
Which will give you allot more expend ability.

1 Like

Overhere in the Netherlands the following prices in Euro’s and US Dollar

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE 210 Euro and 234 US Dollar

Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO 256 Euro and 296 US Dollar

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA 325 Euro and 363 US Dollar

Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER 390 Euro and 435 US Dollar

But I have a loyal customer coupon to get a very decent discount on any of these boards.
With My coupon I could get this Master board for just a little more then 300 Euro and 335 US Dollar.

So why not use this coupon to get the best board of these mentioned.
This will not say I need to buy the master, I just need the board that is fit to my needs.
I need to be able to get my CAD design work done, maybe overclocking possibility and even game at a decent 1440p because that is enough for me.
I want also that my board is reasonable future proof, meaning putting in extra stuff.
NVMe expansion card for example.
Wifi is not needed but if present no problem.
Dual LAN not needed but if present no problem.
Because I use 2 video cards, one for gaming and one for professional work the board needs to be stable enough to handle both of them not to forget the CPU.

Greetings.

Well of course if you could get the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master for just over €300,-
Then that would be a great deal of course.
Not sure which shop you are going to shop? Azerty or Alternate maybe? :wink:

I buy all of my hardware from Megekko.
I bought so many hardware that I received a loyal customer coupon.
That I’m going to use for this hardware.
I do not only buy my hardare but also the hardware for all of my family from Megekko.
Megekko has also a super deal right now,
Gigabyte Aurus X470 Ultra
Ryzen 5 2600X
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance 2x8 3200 RAM
Just for 377 Euro and 421 US Dollar.

1 Like

Ah i have not checked them out for a while. :slight_smile:

Thats nice, with a decent discount discount you could indeed,
go for the better boards, since you already got the gpu’s anyways.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master is a great board on paper. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eveybody knows that what you buy today will be outdated tommorow.
It goes so fast and the new technologies come after one another at such a fast pace that you can’t follow everything.
At my work everybody is telling me to move over to AMD for my professional work.
Finally I’m doing it and I hope it will not disapoint me.
As I said before, as soon as I have the new hardware and set it up I will update this post with my findings and even problems to fix.
This Forum will help me I’m sure.

Many thanks.

1 Like

In short - the internal comunication speed between the cores run with the ram speed, so 3200MHz makes the cores talk faster to each other than 2133MHz.
When Ryzen first came out, that’s Ryzen 1000 series, the faster the ram - better performance you got.
Ryzen 1000 was supporting ram barely up to 3200MHz and the difference in performance between 2133 and 3200MHz ram was something like 3-4% overall. Now the difference between 2666 and 3200 was 1-2%, but no, 3200MHz or nothing.
They say get fast ram because they have 100 pieces from all kinds of vendors and they can just use it. When you have to pay for it and want to squeeze the maximum, I would say 2666 is good enough.
2400 is meh and 2133 is best avoided, because there is a difference in performance between 2133 and 2666. Not so much between 2666 and 3200… Now you already own a ram and I am not sure it’s worth buying new ram just to get 2% performance boost.

1 Like

My coupon says, get a discount on the register no matter what I buy, even goods that are allready on discount!

in ryzen 2000 and 1000 the ram speed and infinity fabric speed are the same.

Infinity fabric is used for inter-CCX communication. i.e., you need fast ram to get fast inter-CCX communication (On ryzen 1000/2000).

on Ryzen 3000 it is decoupled from memory speed so it is less important.

1 Like

many thanks for your response.

This evening I make my decision wich mobo I will buy, I will use my RAM.
Update will be put here as soon as I have my hardware and set it up.

Greetings.

Hi,

Guess What?
I was finally home from a long working day, I was ready to order my new hardware, a new YT video came up, from Wendell, uploaded today, geuss what…X570 Aurus Master…hahahahaha.
The best X570 board he said, he loved it, and as always all the things he said made so much sense.
I just ordered my hardware, the Master board and the 3700X…
I will post an update a soon as I have my hardware and set it up.

cool, can’t wait.

Greetings.

2 Likes