I want to learn Guitar or Bass. Where do I start

I've really been getting Black Sabbath lately and now because Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler are so damn amazing I'm feeling kind of inspired to learn either guitar or bass as well. However I do not own either instrument and have very little musical experience (not even acoustic guitar). Is it even a good idea to try to learn either one with this little experience? And if yes which one do I start with? Is there a good guide online? What would be a good bass/guitar for a beginner?

This is a good start

For a beginner I'd recommend something cheap until you know it's something you want to invest a lot of time/money into. Far too many people think they want to play and get some $500+ guitar and stop playing after a week. The main thing you need to have is motivation and dedication.

As to which one to learn? Guitar and Bass are very different animals. Look at what you want to do: Solos=lead guitar, Riffs and simpler licks= rhythm guitar, Being an anchor= bass. For a beginner, electric is easier to play due to them having typically lower action (so the strings don't dig into your non-calloused fingertips as much).

YES. Everyone starts out knowing nothing. There are tons of ways to learn as well. I started playing by learning some Iron Maiden riffs using online tablature (Here's a pretty good site for tabs), others take lessons (though lessons aren't necessary), some get books like this. That book helped me quite a bit.

It all really boils down to 2 things:
1. What do you want to accomplish? as in what role do you want to play?
2. How do you learn? self teaching vs. being taught

Although I admit my guitar has been collecting dust for awhile now, I gotta say that the game Rocksmith helped me a lot. Besides learning some of your (possibly) favorite songs, it also has mini-games to help you with scales and other techniques. A shame the Steam sale just ended, the game and all DLC songs were on sale.

1. Well I just kind of want to play either for fun to learn how to play certain songs. I'm hoping to maybe play with some friends (though I don't have any that would be interested). So either one would probably be fine (however a lot of people tell me that guitar is a bit easier)
  2. It would probably be all self taught

Also thanks @HarbingerOne I'll check it out

Any cheap guitar / bass will be fine. When you get use to it then you can drop a couple hundred of dollars on your idea setup. I would suggest Acoustic for your first guitar. The strings are heavier and harder to press. After a week you should have a nice layer of callus on your finger tips. buy you a cheap digital guitar tuner. you can use that until you get use to the sounds and can tell when you out of tune.

Next Music. If you don't know how to read sheet music and you dont want to take time TABs are you friends. You can find tabs for almost any song out there. Just Tab and practice. Start out with something small like Wipeout or Ghost rider in the sky. Then move up to chorded tabs like house of the rising sun. Very simple only a few chords in the whole song. Crazy train / Beautiful people have pretty much the same chord =). Once you start getting the feel of the chords and how to place your fingers then you can move up to and justice for all, harvester of sorrow, home sweet Home.

Edit.

If you are going more towards metal just do a electric guitar amp and distortion pedal

Band geek here also =). Percussion is my pride and joy =)

This coupled with the book I recommended (fretboard logic SE) will get you where you want to be in terms of playing very quickly. Though fretboard logic is written for people like me who didn't learn music theory (I have a fundamental understanding now of course, but for the first 3 years of playing guitar I didn't).

Rocksmith 2014, Sadly for these chumps they had to learn the hard way without modern technology, You don't have to, ITS 2016 FFS. ;)

1 Like

Just remember this is Very boring like trying to learn a new language. So if you don't have the patience you will quit after a few weeks of trying to learn music. Unless you can find a fun way of doing it. positive reinforcement. Give yourself a cookie after learning something new.

Hi!

Well, I started playing guitar taking lessons with a teacher. He wasn't that good and he taught me the basics: minor pentatonic and basic chords. I'd suggest you to teach yourself, it's going to be a bit harder at first but once you get the grip you'll be unstopable.

Go and learn basic chords, and practice cromatic exercises so you get your hands and fingers in shape. Go slowly, use metronome if you want and don't rush. Learn your basic pop songs which use two or three cords.

And ask us! I'm not a good guitar player, I know how to play some Opeth songs (that's the hardest stuff I know) but if you need any help just ask us! And avoid theory at first, just try to learn the sounds and the characteristics of each chord and then you'll learn stuff by ear in no time. Then you can teach yourself some basic theory to understand better your instrument.

If you have some spare cash i'd suggest you to buy Electric Guitar for Dummies. It's pretty basic, but for the huge chord sheet it has at the end of the book I think it's worth it. Plus they teach you how to take care of your instrument, change strings... If you need any help ask us or watch tutorials on YouTube!

Edit

If you need gear just go to a local shop and try different shapes and see what fits you the most. If you are going to play met00lz a Les Paul or any Ibanez will be perfect for you. Just avoid tremolo systems of any kind, it's harder for a noobie to change strings and you can't downtune. Buy used if you can, you'll get great deals. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and I love it to death, I'll tell you to try to get that guitar used, if you live in the US you might be able to grab one for 250/300 bucks.

For amps, I'd go for a modelling amp, try Fender Mustang or the one I have, Roland Cube.

Great channel on youtube for this: https://www.youtube.com/user/WillsEasyGuitar. He also does some basic lessons if you go digging through his videos.

My dad taught me everything. on the guitar. Said thing was he played by ear. Didn't know how to read music but he could play anything he heard. I went to band thinking I got this. they a sheet of music in front of me and I was like What is this scribbly mess?

But I learned how to read music and glad I did honestly.

When you listen to music do you usually just sing along and make "bweedle deedle deew" noises along with the guitar solos? Or do you start bobbing ur body and/or get a bit of a stiffy goin on from the rhythm of the drums and bass just groovin' down there in the bottom of the mix?

If it's the former: Buy a guitar.
If it's the latter: Buy a bass.

1 Like

OP my brother was able to learn to play guitar very well using tablature. He did it all on his own. No lessons whatsoever. I highly recommend you look at it.

When I first picked up guitar I started by teaching myself with YouTube and whatnot. I recommend starting there. Learn some basic chords and the like.

@jonnytombstone Will any guitar tuner work or are there certain ones I should look? And do you have any recommendations in terms of amps? Also I've been wondering where I can learn more about the equipment in general? Right its still pretty confusing (for example the distortion pedal or the digital guitar tuner).

@TheBlackestSheep Alright Ill try. My understanding of notes is still very basic (I can tell apart eight, quarter, half, etc but the clefs are what Im unfamiliar with) but it shouldnt take too long to learn, right?

@geisterfaust Alright I took a look at the Les Paul Custom and the cheapest one I've been able to find (on german ebay anyway) is 350€, which is more than I'm willing to spend right now. Is there a less expensive one you could recommend? And what about bass? Also I found one Fender Mustang 120€ and one for 144€. Are those prices reasonable?

@HimTortons
How much do you want to spend to get started?

There's a torrent around the place that has over 80k of midi/tabs that will work with "Guitar Pro 6" The tabs are fairly accurate most of the time, and will help your aural recognition as to follow along and learn songs. Learning notation takes some time, but with the aid of tablature you will pick up songs fairly fast.

If you need any guitar advice just ask.

source - I have a jazz degree and have been playing guitar since I was 4, so 30 years.

1. You wont need a fancy tuner. Snark makes a good Tuner.
    https://amzn.com/B003VWKPHC

2. Amps depend on how much you want to spend. If your just starting out I wouldn't go out and by a Marshall amp. I would start out with a fender champion 40 or a Vox.
    https://amzn.com/B00EM5UPUE this one I use. I dont have any complaints.

3. I am happy with my set up. Guitar tech is just like computer tech. There is always some better product that will cost a little more money and do basically the same thing =). Youtube reviewers are a good place to start learning about tech. This guy is pretty fun https://www.youtube.com/user/th3ycharg3 and he does review on different pedals.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZBb7Nnw1c&list=PLnOz4ii-wwzlRbpT_41iK-zsY-D2ZBvgM

These guys are great as well with music tech

1. Wah pedals and distortion pedals are ALL about what you want your sound to be. My first distortion pedal was a Grilled Cheese from Sam Goodies. I think it costed $22.00 and I finally got distortion.
    https://amzn.com/B0002CZQTQ If your serious go with a Boss MT-2 https://amzn.com/B0002CZVA0

Pedals are all about what sound you want. They are like cloths. There are so many to choose from and its hard to tell someone what pedal to get.

1. Guitars. If you are starting out I would not buy a les pual or any guitar over 300 dollars. I would go with a cheap Ibenez. I would recommend buying used for my first guitar. If you find a decent guitar cheap Ibenez Roadster 2. My first guitar handed down from my father. he had it before I was born. You can add modern pick ups and give it an update.
1 Like