I think I want to make a game

I recently in the last few days found the game Omori, and I really really want to make something now. I have stories that I wrote a long tine ago that would be cool to take apart and make something out of, and I even have sone game mechanics nailed down already.

I am going to keep this thread here as a little…. Status thing. My tech hole thread is pretty long winded now, and theres a few things in there that coulda been threads that are just butied now, or lost to time. Lol, oh well.

Heres hoping I can make something that will even run on a pentium 3 xD

3 Likes

Itch.io is doing wonders for indie devs. I dont see any reason why you cant do stuff there too. They also seem to be a haven for LGBTQ stuff (which is frankly, not for me), so you should be welcome there as well.

I’m not really worried about lgbt sorta stuff and being accepted lol. My business is my business. But I will probably look there for notes when I am stuck on something.

I’ve been into the games industry and game design for a while and I kinda know how to play that game, but I don’t think I really care to be honest. I think I just want to create a thing.

1 Like

Flappy bird and Super Hexagon and games that are simple and fun enough. Just focus on the core gameplay loop and do that very well and you should be good after a several iterations!

You have engine in mind?
You have specific game mechanics and ideas in mind?

My vote go to https://godotengine.org/ - it is free, downloadable from Steam and easy to master.

That said, look to Youtube tutorials.

2 Likes

If I cared about modularity and postable maps, I would absolutely agree with you. However, I don’t work like that. I work in release candidates, normally content updates and bug patches separately.

An RPG engine of some sort. I am going to demo RPGM2003 for right now as its what I have. I will try some things in there and see if I can code what I need the engine to do. If not I will look at VX Ace, which is what I believe Omori uses.

The game will be story driven, with some dungeon mechanics, some social mechanics, and a lot of character and world building making choices matter with an effect to the players stats and emotional makeup.

The game in general will be a walk through a characters growing up, allowing the player to make basic choices and learn the basic mechanics of the game. I want the engine to be somewhat limited so that theres specifically information missing from the game that the player would need to know, making the players memory the characters memory.

So kinda like fallout, from birth sorta deal. And then, at a point, theres a big accident after a few minor fuckups the player makes in some relationships resulting in the death of a character. This will let me push into some interesting tings with stats based off mental health stuff, but I want the game somewhat set in the future or at least in a somewhat cybernetic world, allowing for some similar gameplay to the old megaman GBA games.

Everyone bases off of earthbound or similar things, making for rather boring battle mechanics. No one has sued that battle system since, so I think I want to use it. But, I will put some spins on it that will make it different enough capcom won’t rape me lol.

I want there to be enough things that the player themselves has to keep track of that it feels like the player is really interacting with a little world, making choices feel as important or crucial as they do in a game like Omori or OneShot. However, a lot of those games copy each other so much its very tiring. So hopefully I can do something cool.

You got an artist or you gonna do stuff yourself pixel style?

I am the only person. Sink will probably help with a little bit of music stuff but I’m alone lol.

You seem to be doing a lot in this project. A simpler art style would be helpful in reducing burnout from doing all the other stuff.

Also, did Sink agree to help you already? You did ask beforehand, right?

We’re doing other music stuff, and some of it will be used in the game. I’ve been busy with IRL though, I need to work on some of that soon.

I am looking at RPGM for that exact reason. If I have cutscenes, they won’t be long. Again, omori is my example to showm but I guess OFF as well, and some others. I really like these style of games, and I like games that make you take notes on a piece of paper to figure out what you need to do, but not give you a puzzle window to sit in for forever.

I will be doing this as a little stress thing. I don’t plan to make money, or have a “Final Product”. It will be a for me thing, which I need more things that are specifically for me. A lot of my projects have died because I got nervous about ppls expectations in places I’d post, so I just stopped a lot of them. I plan to finish them, but I need to learn to have my own fun.

I have this Thinkpad X230T specifically to do stuff like this. Animation, drawing, all sorts of whatever. I have hacked it, tweaked it, overclocked, and unlocked it, and I can attach a gpu dock to it very easily. For the moment, it is my workstation lol. My desktop is going to be moved to server / editing station work. So most of this will be done on the laptop. I’ll finally be using it for what I WANT to be using it for.

I’m excited.

1 Like

Been looking at stuff. I might make this a homebrew title instead of an rpg maker title. IDK.