I think I need a KVM, but might have too many peripherals

I’ve finally built my 1st PC in 10+ years and am starting to think I might have gone a little overboard…

I primarily WFH, and have a dual monitor setup with a dock and laptop.

I don’t have a lot of space as of right now, and am planning to get a new desk, but the one I plan to get is currently out of reach, so I’m wanting to at the very least clean up my table and make switching easier while I save up.

I need a KVM to switch my monitors, and would like to run my peripherals wired if possible. I think my best fit KVM would be the L1 2x2 DP1.4 KVM, but I’m concerned I may be working with too many peripherals and from what I’ve been reading there seems to be some complications with USB devices so I was hoping for any guidance on if I’m overthinking this, or, if not, the best approach to resolve the issues.

I’m currently running:
2x USB-A or C QMK compatible keyboards,
2x USB-A mouse (1 on each system),
1x dedicated USB Mic,
1x USB-A game controller,
2x DP monitors,
1x USB-A audio headset+mic,
1x USB-A webcam,
1x 3.5 mm headphones

I haven’t received the headphones yet, so I may need to add a DAC/Amp, and I plan to eventually add a drawing tablet and small audio mixer. There is also the possibility of a Macro pad for design work, but I haven’t really come to a conclusion on that.

Ridiculously enough, the only item that I wouldn’t need to switch is the Headphone+Mic, but I would be able to reduce my mice, though I use a different form factor for work.

I can probably reconfigure how I connect on a few items if needed, and I’m okay running a dongle through the KVM if that won’t cause any problems. My primary concern is that there are 6 USB ports on the KVM and I’m already at a minimum of 6 items with more planned in the future, so I’m just worried I’m approaching this the wrong way.

Just add a USB hub to facilitate the additional USB peripherals connected to the KVM.

2 Likes