I think I have a RAT(trojan) inside my PC. I have no idea what I should do, any and all help is appreciated

Alright, thank you for the help

Also, would their be a way for me to find out who it was that RATTED my cpu?

Wireshark is much more complicated to me than I initially thought.

Do you mind giving me a step by step on how I should use it for my circumstance?

We can but make another post for itā€¦ and link the topics so we know their relatedā€¦ best not to do ā€¦ two things in one postā€¦

3 Likes

Wireshark is a bit of a beast at first :slight_smile:

It is surprising how much a fresh VM reaches out to the internet. Let alone your PC with graphics drivers and other auto update programs installed.

3 Likes

+1 @Ruffalo

If your know what software you need to re-install. Backup and pave is a great catch all fix.

1 Like

As @PhaseLockedLoop has mentioned, creating and linking a separate thread would be a good idea.

@Ruffalo: Are you sure this solution works? Meterpreter is able to hide in C:\Windows which may not be touched. Or does it scan this folder as well?

1 Like

It completely wipes the disk and reinstalls windows from scratch.

This is the only thing that is really preventing me from taking this step. I have a ton of programs on my PC and I really donā€™t want to lose anything.

One awful thing is that I have forgotten my main gmail account password, which has all of my business contacts and important emails on it. I have this account linked to my windows mail app, and that is the only thing that is keeping me able to access this account. :confused:

1 Like

Thank you for the help!

While it works get 2fa working or talk to google and sort your account. Donā€™t wait for it to be broken to start the process.

True wordsā€¦Donā€™t wait.

2fa meaning 2 factor?

I have contacted google and they said that they cannot get me access to the account unless I remember my password.

Yer I ment 2 factor.

Not sure I can help you if you that out of touch from your account. I would have thought google would help you.

Good luck.

Thank you for the help. Would I be able to trace the RAT to see who it was that hacked me at all?

If they have your Gmail password 2fa is good thing. It also shows who has logged into your email.

Itā€™s possible your router would be compromised as well.

2 Likes

Can you not go through the I forgot my password steps and get back in. Then set up the 2 factor.

I have tried that and no i cannot. I listed an email account that I also do not and cannot get into as my safety email.

I havenā€™t received any notifications that someone has accessed my email account that I didnā€™t authorize. What do you think is the best option in order to remedy this problem?

I forgot my password to my old gmail account, as I had just recently changed passwords, so I email google that I forgot the new password and gave them a list of passwords that I thought it was. And gave them the old password to the account.

They say they will look into the matter.

3 days latter they say that they can not confirm that I am the user of that email address and that they wonā€™t help me get back into the account.

Sooo. I donā€™t think google is all that good with getting email accounts back to their users.

1 Like

2 factor all the things. Some work is ahead of you if you forgot the password. There are utils for recovering saved passwords from your own PC if you must but best to try to avoid that if possible.

1 Like