I Need Help With A Sound Setup Thing

So I'm setting up my desktops to work with each other. Monitor layout is set, KB and mouse, BUT I need to figure out audio!

Essentially I'm going to have my Mac Pro and my linux box next to each other with an easy flip of a switch and a cable to use one or the other. And yes, I know what a KVM is, but I don't have money for one.

What the gist of my problem is is that I have headphones as speakers, I don't much like speakers to be honest because you can hear someone drop a pencil from the other side of my house (I live in a giant house). So with that, I need a way to jump audio from my mac to my headphones, but also have audio from my linux box go to my headphones. Maybe not at the same time, but it wouldn't hurt.

TLDR

At first I thought about just a splitter cable. Only problem is the ones I have are trash and will distort the audio signal. So, second thought, take my mac audio and plug it in to the line in or mic input on my linux box. I don't use them anyways so its not like it matters. How would I, then, take my line in audio from my mac and pipe it to my audio out to my headphones? And, if possible, ONLY to my headphones so that if I were to stream OBS wouldn't pick up music on the main line or anything like that? (Though I do understand that that might not be possible so its to like a requirement).

Any useful info that anyone knows is wanted, no flamewars or bullshit will be tolerated.

I'm running arch on 4.11.3. Thanks.

1 Like

5$ 3.5mm switch

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Audio-Switching-Board-3-5mm-audio-input-A-B-Group-input-Switch-Select-output/32712598321.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.6.4CnUdU

Actually I already got an answer. Its hidden in pavucontrol.

1 Like

Does that bypass OBS listening to application sound? I was under the impression that OBS will hook on the output sink and capture/stream/whatever with it.

No it doesn't 3: eventually I'll have some sort of mixing board though but this is fine for now.

pactl load-module module-loopback latency_msec=1

pactl unload-module module-loopback

1 Like