I Installed a 1st Gen Threadripper Upside-down

I upgraded my 1950X to a 2990WX and it turned out the 2990WX was in its orange caddy backwards, meaning I installed it backwards. Even though there’s notches, the installation mechanism that I’m guessing was added last minute makes that fact invisible to the user. The caddy covers everything but the top of the IHS and the notches pose no noticeable resistance to the retention bracket being threaded and screwed in. As far as I can see, all the pins are still intact, despite the smashed notches right next to them. The computer doesn’t get to any stage of booting at all when the CPU is reoriented correctly. Due to unfortunate timing, as soon as I plugged it in and attempted to power it on, I had to go somewhere for an hour on short notice, leaving the computer plugged in like that with an upside-down CPU the entire time.

So, what I need to know is what kind of protect mechanisms would a board like this have? What’s potentially fried? I haven’t been able to test any of the components yet due to lack of hardware to test with and with the entire thing being under a custom loop. I also don’t want to risk my only known good component, my 1950X. Someone suggested the CPU might’ve been DOA, but I’m not exactly sure what to do with this information as I don’t see how the behavior would be different between a DOA and non-DOA chip. This is not a troubleshooting route I’m familiar with.

Motherboard is an Asrock x399 Gaming Fatal1ty.

Please show the picture.

No other parts look visibly different.

Make sure all pins have the same range of motion.
Without replacing parts, you won’t check much, in terms of the cpu, you would have to check it in a different motherboard, and the motherboard with a different cpu, and only then will you know what is dead.

Damage can be of two types, the power went wrong, or something was physically crushed and cracked inside the silicon.

Theoretically, you could take a good oscilloscope and measure where the signals are on the pin, but that’s a long way to draw conclusions.

Another thing is how the cpu was incorrectly placed in the first place when you bought it. Is this a new cpu or used?

1 Like

The CPU was used. There was still a tiny bit of thermal paste around the IHS.

It is possible that you were sold a faulty cpu.
It’s hard for me to imagine that such an incorrectly assembled cpu left the factory and was used by someone without a problem.

Someone must have done something weird with that cpu.

3 Likes

The 2990WX is definitely getting returned. Should I test my 1950X on the motherboard then, or would the motherboard be too likely to be damaged to risk it?

1 Like

Hmm, I can only speculate because I can’t guarantee anything 100%.

Thinking quickly, teretically, if the motherboard is damaged in some way, it should simply be dead and teretically not a threat to the cpu. But I can’t guarantee it in any way, the risk is always there, but in general I have doubts about the fact that the motherboard can be a threat.
Either there were short circuits and some things got fried, or it’s still working properly.

You can take a chance and test the cpu. :wink:

The board would have to be damaged in a strange way to still work but, for example, give too much voltage or give power to the wrong pins. I doubt that would be the case here. I would risk it and test it, but it’s your decision.

1 Like

Oh wow I didn’t realize that 1950X’s had dropped below $200 already. Alright I’ll try testing it.

1 Like

Nevermind, I reexamined the socket again and saw that at least six pins were completely crushed and buried under the smushed plastic.

1 Like

Well… that’s why I said at the beginning that you check the pins and if they have movement. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, you will have to spend $, take this as a painful lesson that always double check before you do something because you never know and should not assume that it will be ok.

I managed to get the memory tested and it works completely fine, so the other peripherals are probably fine. The only thing I’ll have to write off is the motherboard. I’m gonna sell off everything that can’t be moved over to the new computer and then some. Luckily I managed to find my old vive and an 805i infinity I have no recollection of acquiring.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.